Grandfathers Rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

cdennyb

Grandfathers Rod

Post by cdennyb »

I've been gifted my grandfathers fly rod and have been fishing it for about the last 40-50 yrs. Stumbled onto this forum and thought there would be a lot more knowledge here than I could ever find alone. I have a few pics of it and as I cruised thru all the catalogs in the forum from years ago I thought I'd found it but the black & white pages and photos of their wares leave a lot to be desired.
I was in contact with a fella named Don in Placerville, Ca to secure a stripping eye replacement for it and he thought it was from about 1910-1920 but didn't have a mfg or makers name in mind and he's seen several hundred rods in his day and his collection of several dozen left him clueless so here I am.
I have thought it was a Heddon rod at first but the colors didn't seem right according to the stock in their catalogs. I then thought maybe it was a Horrocks-Ibbotson but again the colors were wrong. I've looked thru hundreds of pages in the catalog section and unless it's an early model linking to a poor resolution black & white pic where I can't make out the details of the reel and rod interface areas I'm kinda lost. I even looked into the Shakespeare catalog and found several that resemble it but nothing I would consider concrete identification stuff.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I fish with this rod every year and this winter I have plans to repair the thread wrappings on the eyes and wires as they have become quite brittle and seem to fray easily. A good project for some winter evenings around the fire.
It's a 3 piece/section rod with a spare tip section.

bottom section is 36-7/8" long w/2 stripper eyes (1 @ .188" ID and 1 @ .227" ID)
number 2 section is 34-1/8" long w/4 wire guides
number 3 section (tip no#1) is 30-3/8" long w/3 wire guides + tip
number 4 section (tip no#2) is 35-3/4" long w/4 wire guides + tip
thread colors appear to be a gold or faded yellow and a dark brown or a faded black...no other colors.
The cork handle only section is 5-11/16" long x 1.016" dia (big end) and .591" dia at the silver interface.
The fishing hook ring has a bar under the wrapping.
Assembles to fish with: longest 105-1/2" overall ) or 8' 9-1/2" +/-
using the short tip it's right at 100-1/4" overall or 8' 4-1/4" +/-

Thanks in advance gentlemen.
7 photos hopefully show up.

https://s174.photobucket.com/user/cdenn ... p.jpg.html
https://s174.photobucket.com/user/cdenn ... x.jpg.html
https://s174.photobucket.com/user/cdenn ... 5.jpg.html
https://s174.photobucket.com/user/cdenn ... q.jpg.html
https://s174.photobucket.com/user/cdenn ... 8.jpg.html
https://s174.photobucket.com/user/cdenn ... 2.jpg.html
https://s174.photobucket.com/user/cdenn ... l.jpg.html
Just enjoying the ride. :rollin

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Re: Grandfathers Rod

Post by TheMontyMan »

Your grandfather's rod was built by Union Hardware of Torrington, Connecticut. The reel seat and ferrule styling are the telling traits.

Based on the reel seat style, it was probably built in the late 1920's to the early 1930's. The ferrules used indicate that it was probably a fairly high end rod in its day.

I'd have it repaired and keep on fishing it. I think that's what your grandfather would want.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Also the “eye” is called a guide. Never an eye.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

cdennyb

Post by cdennyb »

Well that was quick... Thank you so much... guess I have more research work to do. Guess Don was pretty close in his approximation as to mfg date years. Do you know if there's a catalog available for that mfg? It might help in the history track down process.
As far as the "guide" vs "eye"... I stand corrected... always called it an "eye", thanks

db
Just enjoying the ride. :rollin

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Early Union Hardware catalogs are almost impossible to find.
Mark

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

samsonboi wrote:
07/30/20 19:29
"Never" is incorrect. The man called it an eye in his post. I may start calling them that myself, "snake eyes"!

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

:lol I enjoyed that. Thank you very much.
"Car ce n'est pas assez d'avoir l'esprit bon, mais le principal est de l'appliquer bien.”- Descartes

teter
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by teter »

I read somewhere that Bison Bill Cody could shoot the eye -- er, guide -- out of a beefalo at 21,000 centimeters.

Expsp4043
Sport

Post by Expsp4043 »

Guess youse guys are as tired of him as I am! Sure is knowledgable for his age!

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

samsonboi wrote:
07/30/20 19:29
Not unusual for them to be called "eyes" on this side of the Atlantic, and also "rings".

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Chubb was one of the earliest purveyors of rod components in The States and that's who I use as a standard for component nomenclature. In the early Chubb catalogs you'll find "rings", "ring guides" (which consist of rings and keeper straps), and "guides" of assorted styles. From your side of the pond, I have purchased 20th century sets of what we call snake guides, labeled as "rod rings". But, never eyes. Lately, sellers on ebay have added to their rod descriptions the word base instead of butt, which goes nicely with the eyes and tippets (for tip section). Sad to say, nobody selling on ebay consults a reference - their first source of information is other ebay listings. Best is when a missing guide is called a furl, ferral, or farrow.

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

Yes, “rod ring” is the standard nomenclature in the U.K.

Out of curiosity I did a search of the Forum and found more than a dozen uses of “eyes” (including “snake eyes”) in the last 2 years alone, most apparently by US based members, and not just newbies. There’s something more than eBay to the use of the term - probably connected to that part of a hook?

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

wel, golly gee! . . fishhooks with snelled attachments were replaced (eventually) with hooks having what? feature. i am eighty two years old and believe the very common naming of fishing rod guides began after agate inserts became avaliable.
calling of guides eyes was more common among bait fishermen but has been noted in all venues of the activity. regards,

jim w

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

Expsp4043 ...

As my Methodist Grandmother would say: "If you could buy him for what he's worth; and then sell him for what HE thinks he's worth, we would All be millionaires!"

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

Eh, you’d be disappointed. You’d be out a buck and you’d get a quarter.

samsonboi
Master Guide

Post by samsonboi »

ROI on selling me is def too low

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

have patience, young man; graduate from cornell advanced studies; -phi kappa, summa cum l, and hopefully sae - write a few books, governor's office, then see what the naysayers find to comment. remember: non carborundum". good cess.
regards, jim w

winston59
Master Guide

Post by winston59 »

I know hooks have eyes... Sometimes when fishing just as the sun sets and the fish have their eye on small midges. It sure is hard for my tired eyes to see the hook eye and tie my leader on a size 20.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”