Sea King bamboo fly rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

serickson

Sea King bamboo fly rod

Post by serickson »

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get more information about this fly rod. The brand name on it is Sea King (you can see the logo in the attached photos) which I have found was associated with Edward Lipsett Ltd. Fishing Supplies which operated out of Vancouver in the 40's (and possibly later?). There is a logo on the rod but despite the good condition of the rod I don't see any indication of line class or taper. It likely dates 1940's but I don't know when it was purchased so I'm not really sure.
It has three sections which appear to be unbroken and it is 8 1/2 feet long fully assembled. The butt section is slightly longer (maybe 1") longer than the other 2 section and the rod sock is sewn to allow for this. The reel seat is downlocking and made of cork.

Since I can't see any indication that Edward Lipsett Ltd actually manufactured fly rods, I am assuming this is another maker's rod branded by this company.

I'm not really worried about value - the rod is of interest as an item of family history - but I would love to know more information about this rod.

Thanks for anything you can share.
Steven

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Sea King bamboo fly rod

Post by Webfly »

The ferrules look of pretty good quality. Will need to see the full grip and reel seat to get a better idea. Also, please lay the bag and all pieces out to get a full shot of everything. Might be British, as they are more known for staggered sections.
Last edited by Webfly on 08/03/20 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

the bottom of the bag says "Victoria, Vancouver Prince Rupert" so Canadian? The tip looks like either British or a convenient replacement tip.

serickson

Post by serickson »

Thanks for the replies. Here are photos showing all the pieces together and the handle/reel seat.

@Crowebeetle: Edward Lipsett Ltd was based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada and had stores (or maybe a partnership with another business?) in Victoria BC and Prince Rupert BC. The information I have found about this company is limited to carved wooden salmon lures they manufactured. Photos of the surviving boxes from these lures show the same Sea King name and logo. My best guess at the moment is that this rod was purchased by my Grandfather in Victoria in the 40's. (Rumors - family details from the 40's are scarce).

My Grandfather never fished all that much, which would explain why the cork looks essentially untouched. It's possible he never even got around to using this rod. The varnish has a little bubbling, probably from poor storage. He most likely would have been planning to try steelhead fishing or trout fishing on Vancouver Island. My dad, who was storing the rod until he gave it to me recently, also has an older model Hardy Viscount 150 reel that could possibly be of a similar age (I think they were manufactured in the 40's??) but I don't know if it was purchased at the same time or not. Unlike the rod, the reel has seen a great deal of use. (I only have a picture of the back of the reel which is still with my dad - 2000 miles away)

Possibilities I can think of: Lipsett knew a person that made rods locally and sold them through his stores (I think this is probably most likely, seeing the ferrules and wraps), it is a British or American rod imported and branded with his tackle name (less likely), or it is a Japanese made rod as these were also entering the market at that time (I think the ferrules are probably wrong for this.)

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

That looks a lot like a Farlows rod made for the trade. The reel seat, winding check, ferrules, and tiptop are very similar to the featherweight and elf series rods.Image
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

Mahseer
Guide

Post by Mahseer »

I think snorider is basically correct - but while the rod would have been marketed by Farlows, it would have been made by J S Sharpe in Aberdeen, Scotland. If that is the case, it will be impregnated. I have the impression that Sharpe rods were popular in Canada, and Sharpe were also making rods for Cortland, Norm Thompson and others in the USA. Should be a good rod.

snorider
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by snorider »

That is correct maseer I spaced the Sharpes connection. Thanks for pointing that out.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it. T.R.

serickson

Post by serickson »

Thanks! Nice to get that info.

Gives me a better idea of origin. I’m planning to give it a go on a local trout pond once the weather cools a bit

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”