Need help identifying and aging rods

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

DBath15

Need help identifying and aging rods

Post by DBath15 »

I recently came into possession of 8 bamboo rods that were passed to me from my father. Before him, they belonged to my great grandfather who died in 1964. In the group there are 2 Montagues, 2 Phillipson Power Pakt, 1 Winchester, and the rest I have no idea. I admittedly know very little about these rods as I fish modern Moonshine Rods but would like to be able to provide as much info as I can when I inevitably pass these on to my sons. Basically, I need help finding the age and weight that they should be so that I don't over line them when I do fish them. I plan on restoring the ones that are not fishable in 3-4 years when I retire from the Army. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Daniel

This first rod seems to be reversible and had no markings on it to ascertain maker and weight other than the patent number 391534 on the reel seat. It is 8 feet long.

DBath15

Re: Need help identifying and aging rods

Post by DBath15 »

Rod numbers 2 and 3 are both Montagues and 9 feet long. One has yellow wraps and the other that appears to have an older reel seat has red wraps.

DBath15

Post by DBath15 »

Rod number 4 has no markings, it is 7.5 feet long but appears to have the same basic designs of the Montagues.

DBath15

Post by DBath15 »

Rods 5 and 6 are both Phillipsons the yellow and black wrapped one is 9 feet long and the one with the orange reel seat is 8.5 and is marked 5 wt. I do not know the wt of the 9 ft rod.

DBath15

Post by DBath15 »

Rod 7 is a Winchester and is 8 feet long with no wt markings. I know they only made rods for a very short period of time in the 20's.

DBath15

Post by DBath15 »

And finally, rod 9 is unmarked and is 7.5 feet long. Its wrappings are fairly unique so I think it might be a custom build but again, I have no idea. My dad wrapped the handle with suede in the 70's when my grandfather gave it to him.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

rods 9,7,6 and 4 all have short sections and likely began as 9 ft rods, Unless they are really 7.5 ft rods they should have a butt, a mid and 2 tips. the first one looks like a post WW2 souvenir rod from japan

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

The Winchester is a Horrocks & Ibotson build from the early 30s when H&I bought Winchester's rod shop/stock and name. Prob from remaining Winchester stock. Short mid+ tip is unfortunate and make a lower end rod lower indeed. Sentimental value only. Cheers

DBath15

Post by DBath15 »

Thank you for that info, I'm not terribly interested in their monetary value as I don't plan to sell them. Just curious about line weights. I was able to find some information on the first rod and it being a post WWII Japan rod would make sense. I have fished that one with 4 weight line a few years ago and it is really fast.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

It’s hard to know on line weight because these rods were made to have full length sections (all sections the same length) and they won’t function as intended with short sections.
For rods with correct length sections, a good rule of thumb for starting with is to weigh the rod in ounces and go one number up for line weight. A 4 oz rod, try a 5 weight line. 5 oz rod try a 6 weight line. I have found this method to work, more or less.
Good luck
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

DBath15

Post by DBath15 »

Awesome, thank you. That makes a lot of sense.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”