Kingfisher Rod Markings

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

MICS

Kingfisher Rod Markings

Post by MICS »

Hello all,

Today I found what appears to be a Kingfisher Bamboo rod. I have zero experience with this type of gear and am looking for some help.

It has the Kingfisher moniker on the reel base but I cannot find any other marks. Is there any other marks that I should be looking for? I will be following up with descriptions, lengths and photographs shortly. I don’t envision its worth anything but am interested in the history and think it is a cool piece for my man cave.

Thank you in advance.

Greg

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Kingfisher Rod Markings

Post by wrong66 »

Generally, rods with "Kingfisher" engraved on the reel seat were made by Montague in the 1920's exclusively for sale through Edward K. Tryon Sporting Goods of Philadelphia, who owned the trade marked "Kingfisher" brand name of tackle.

MICS

Post by MICS »

Thank you wrong66.

It definitely looks like it could be that old. Are there any other markings I should be looking for to tell me the model, age etc.?

Truly appreciate the insight. Already looking for the right spot in the cave!

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

I have a 7'0" Kingfisher that has the word "Kingfisher" embossed into the metal reel seat and for years thought it was a Montague rod. The 7'0" length was quite unusual, if it was a Monty, IMHO. The rod was in decrepit condition when found and is still less than mint. However, it was not a shortened 7'6" rod. I posted photos of it here some many many years ago and the Monty Man suggested that it was in fact a Union Hardware made rod. Markings on the ferrules was what he used to rule out Montague.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Here's one from far "left field" - I bought a 9' Heddon from a collector and hand written in black typical Heddon type script was the word "Kingfisher"??!!
It had all of the hallmarks of a Black Beauty and was confirmed Heddon by John Shaner at the Troutfitter in Syracuse, NY. That was close to 20 years ago and I can't remember where it went. Every time I hear the word "Kingfisher" I think about that rod.

MICS

Post by MICS »

Thank you all for the help so far. Here are the pictures and details of my find.

Total length- 9’
Tip (x2)- 3’
Middle- 3’
Base- 3’
Tip case-3’ 2”

Rod condition is marginal from a layman’s perspective. It appears that there are some missing pieces of hard ware.

Again I just want to thank you all for any insight into the age and value of my find.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Post close up of the ferrules - the metal bits that hold the sections together.

MICS

Post by MICS »

MICS

Post by MICS »

I tried to make them as clear as possible. They look a little rough but they seem to work well.

MICS

Post by MICS »

Bamboo Masters,

I have been doing some research and there are indications that there is a possibility that this rod dates back to 1906? Is there a site that has pictures for comparison where I can continue my search. I have explored every place I can find.

Thank you all. This is somewhat addicting, the excitement of the search and the beauty of the craftsmanship.

Greg

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Gnome »

Looking like a possible Shakespeare trade rod? On-Page #214 of "Rod Crafting" is a Shakespeare that I originally misidentified as a Heddon Trade rod. when in fact it was made by Shakespeare in the 1905-1920 range. Your rod features the same grip and winding check. another potential pssibility for who made your rod

one of these days after I finish the "GTRS" documentary, I am going back through Rod Crafting and am going to do an addendum to reflect what we have learned since it was published in 2005, Like all of the T&E's in the book that where actually Lamdman made, etc. And the Not Heddon Shakespeare trade rod and more info has come to light requiring an update.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

This rod was definitely built by the Montague City Rod Company. The styling of the reel seat and the wraps lead me to believe it was most likely built in the 1920's.

Kingfisher was a brand name used by the Edw. K. Tryon Company of Philadelphia. Montague built a lot of rods for Tryon over the years, though other rod makers built rods for them as well.

The rod appears to be in pretty good shape and probably fishable with a little bit of repair work. I'd estimate a value of $100 to $150, depending on how much or little work is needed to spiff it up to complete and/or fishable.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

Here is a butt section, decal - Montague Kingfisher

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

barebo wrote:
10/12/20 12:09
Here's one from far "left field" - I bought a 9' Heddon from a collector and hand written in black typical Heddon type script was the word "Kingfisher"??!!
It had all of the hallmarks of a Black Beauty and was confirmed Heddon by John Shaner at the Troutfitter in Syracuse, NY. That was close to 20 years ago and I can't remember where it went. Every time I hear the word "Kingfisher" I think about that rod.
On page 191 of Sinclair's "Restoration Handbook", there is an explanation for the Kingfisher series of rods made by Heddon after the war. The lowest grade Kingfisher, the #103, would eventually be added to the regular Heddon lineup as the Heddon #8 in 1951.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

Thank you for that info. It was a nice enough rod but had one weird spot in the cane just forward of the swell out of the grip. There was a "dip" in one flat right on a node that was plain to see and feel. It had no effect on casting as it was in a spot on the butt that had little to no flex I could detect.
No trim bands - plain black wraps and japanned ferrules - 2F. It was a nice old rod.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”