"Birdie" Fly Rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

ckhaney

"Birdie" Fly Rod

Post by ckhaney »

Anyone have any information on this rod? The only marking reads "BIRDIE" and to me it looks to be hand lettered, though I may be wrong. These are the only photos that I was sent that show any detail. Other than that it is a 9 foot rod.

uniquafly
Master Guide

Re: "Birdie" Fly Rod

Post by uniquafly »

Impossible for anyone here to give you any information on the rod without better, more photographs.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

ckhaney

Post by ckhaney »

Unfortunately the owner is elderly and not good at photography or the internet. Just wondered if anyone had even heard of it. Probably came from California.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

"Birdie" is of course just somebody's pet name.
It looks to me to have a ferrule at the top of the grip that would indicate a Montague rod such as the Flipline, which would be consistent with the alternating red and black intermediate wraps. At least that's my guess with the poor pics.
Shrimpy

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

I would pass.

ckhaney

Post by ckhaney »

Just trying to find out for someone who contacted me. He also has a Shapleigh that was probably made by Montague. Interesting, but no retirement fund here!

Thanks for your input!

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

If you could get more and better photos of the rod someone here will zero in on a maker and possibly even a date.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”