Heddon Model 20, 2 Ferrule, 8.5’, 3/2

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Troutbot

Heddon Model 20, 2 Ferrule, 8.5’, 3/2

Post by Troutbot »

I have a real nice Heddon Model 20, the Bill Stanley Favorite. It is a nice rod, super clean, has original tube and rod sock. I had it listed on EBay but cancelled the listing because someone told me the reel seat is not original to the rod. If this is so, I don’t know the effect on the value. The reel seat is marked “Featherweight” and is down locking of what I presume is aluminum. The reel seat appears original to the rod, so if a replacement, someone did a nice job. I have attached a couple pictures. Wondering, reel seat original? This is my only vintage rod. I bought it 20 years or so ago. Maybe fished it once or twice? Please see pictures. This is not meant to be a sales solicitation. Thank you.

Last edited by Troutbot on 11/20/20 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Heddon Model 20, 2 Ferrule, 8.5’, 3/2

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Sorry to say, it's not original. Featherweight made some really good rod hardware including reelseats and ferrules for many of the major rod companies. It's a good seat, so you can keep it on the rod and use the rod. Heddon seats are probably available here on this site. You'd need the proper one to elevate the value. I think they were/are maroon to match the wraps. The aluminum seat would come off easily enough, but setting the Heddon might need an experienced person. The classifieds are free on this site.

Jay Edwards

Troutbot

Post by Troutbot »

Here is the Conundrum - let's say the rod is worth $350 in its present state.

The cost to acquire a replacement original reel seat, would be, maybe $100 (a junker rod with a good reel seat), add $20 for shipping. The cost to have the new reel seat installed, maybe another $100. Add shipping both ways for the rod repair, say $60. So at this point I would have $280 in the replacement, and a bunch of time.

Then to sell the rod, I would have to explain the non-original yet original reel seat - so if I sell the now restored rod for $500, I would net $220 versus selling the rod for $350 in its present state? My breakeven would be $580

And the original reel seat, arguably not as good as the replacement removed.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Troutbot wrote:
11/17/20 03:02
Here is the Conundrum - let's say the rod is worth $350 in its present state.

The cost to acquire a replacement original reel seat, would be, maybe $100 (a junker rod with a good reel seat), add $20 for shipping. The cost to have the new reel seat installed, maybe another $100. Add shipping both ways for the rod repair, say $60. So at this point I would have $280 in the replacement, and a bunch of time.

Then to sell the rod, I would have to explain the non-original yet original reel seat - so if I sell the now restored rod for $500, I would net $220 versus selling the rod for $350 in its present state? My breakeven would be $580

And the original reel seat, arguably not as good as the replacement removed.
That rod is nowhere close to $350 in its current state, not even IF it had the original reel seat.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

I agree. Maybe $150-200 as it sits. If you fish, keep the rod. It should serve you well. You could probably get $75-100 for just the bag & tube, if they're really nice, then keep the rod and fish it.

para_adams
Master Guide

Post by para_adams »

One more seat complication - the original seats had a tenite insert which tends to melt when heat is applied (the usual way to remove a seat from a donor rod). So finding an original Heddon #20 seat in good condition and ready to mount will be difficult. It can be done (I've done it once) but it takes a lot of careful work.

Troutbot

Post by Troutbot »

For the two of you that believe yourselves to be the Heddon price guide guru's, your rudeness was not helpful.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Rudeness? Because you apparently overpaid for a rod, that makes US rude? It is what it is, my friend and you're the one who asked for a value. The truth can hurt.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

I agree with Wrong66. Neither him nor I were rude in any way. Check sold prices on e-Bay. If you can go back far enough you'll find one sold by me...and a dozen more way below what you perceive the value of your rod to be.

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

I’m wondering what did you want to hear? Truth or fiction?

Troutbot

Post by Troutbot »

I didn’t ask for your opinion on how much money the rod is worth. I asked about the reel seat. If you can, please show me, sirs, where I asked how much you think this rod is worth? The fact this was expressed and the manner was snarky and not appreciated. To me, your value of this rod is irrelevant - which is why I did not solicit an appraisal.

Troutbot

Post by Troutbot »

I heard what I needed to hear which was the reel seat isn’t original to the rod. After that is was just a bunch of cranks being snarky. Had I wanted an opinion of value I would have addressed the Appraisal section of this Forum.

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

Please read your first two posts. Value is mentioned multiple times. Sorry buddy, the truth hurts.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

Wait...what? When you say “wondering, reel seat original? Value of rod.” You are not asking how much the rod is worth?
Strange.
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

cregb
Master Guide

Post by cregb »

Troutbot wrote:
11/20/20 21:24
I didn’t ask for your opinion on how much money the rod is worth. I asked about the reel seat. If you can, please show me, sirs, where I asked how much you think this rod is worth? The fact this was expressed and the manner was snarky and not appreciated. To me, your value of this rod is irrelevant - which is why I did not solicit an appraisal.
Value of rod

Troutbot

Post by Troutbot »

Okay. You win. I apologize. I apparently did ask about value. I posted in this section because I wanted to know more about the reel seat. The first responder was helpful and answered my question. Thank you for your time.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Hey, please don't go away mad. There is actually much that can be learned here and we all learn a little every time someone asks any question.

Shortness in an answer should not be interpreted as rude, nor should respectfully disagreeing with someone. Stick around and you'll learn a bunch. In fact you might learn that that Heddon of your is a nice taper and should be taken to the river more and not be sold. No harm meant from me.

Troutbot

Post by Troutbot »

I have probably had this rod for 20 years? Can't remember any of the particulars. Maybe fished it twice but have no memory of doing so. I am trying to make arrangements to donate this Heddon rod to Project Healing Waters. Waiting for the local rep to contact me.

This Heddon is not my only rod. I am not new to bamboo. I have a preference for contemporary makers. I have rods by Mario Wojnicki, Walt Carpenter, Sweet Grass (a Jerry rod and a Glenn rod), D.L. Whitehead, a Scott bamboo by Bernard R (Edan cane), I have one Lacey rod he made for Bean, some others. Now, when I buy I keep records. Wish I had done so with my prior collection. I am patiently looking for a couple particular rods and have been trolling the classifieds on this Forum.

I have very little interest in vintage rods, partly because there are way too many nuances for my simple mind. Not going away mad, just going to bed.

barnesspecial6
Master Guide

Post by barnesspecial6 »

That Sir, is a terrific idea, a super rewarding cause! Theres a handicapped vet who will cherish your unselfish gift! I also donated a Monty Red Wing bamboo fly rod to Project Healing Waters a couple yrs ago, they will provide you with a generous value statement for tax purposes. Kudos to you man!!

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”