Leonard cane-color variation

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

sulphur4
Guide

Leonard cane-color variation

Post by sulphur4 »

Should I assign any significance to the different-color tip sections in this Leonard rod for sale locally? It is a 9-footer. Unfortunately, I don't have any other ID information other than what's shown. I believe the original tube is included but not shown here

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Leonard cane-color variation

Post by jeffkn1 »

It's common for tip sections that have been stored in tip tubes to be lighter in color than the butt and mid because they have been protected better.
Rods with canvas bags and tip tubes did not typically come in a tube; what we see in the photo is just the way the rod was sold.

sulphur4
Guide

Post by sulphur4 »

Thanks! Is this likely a prefire rod?

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

sulphur4 wrote:
12/27/20 12:23
Thanks! Is this likely a prefire rod?
Yes, it's probably from the teens or 20s.

headwaters
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by headwaters »

And, it's especially nice that the tip sock is included! They are very often missing.

sulphur4
Guide

Post by sulphur4 »

Thanks for the input all. I acquired the rod and am glad I did. The sections are all straight and the ferrule connections true. Throws a 4-weight line a mile in tight loops and a 5 even better. It reads “Tournament” on reel seat just above the maker’s mark. The cork grip is small, 4.5 inches. Someone wrote 4-3/4 ounces on the cloth sack.

Does anyone know where to get that honey-colored, almost translucent thread to mimic that used by Leonard? The guide near the female ferrule on the middle section looks to have been rewrapped in a darker thread.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”