Montague rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

canefisher

Montague rod

Post by canefisher »

Hi guys,
I need some help dating a Montague rod. Calcutta cane, 71/2', 3/2, 14/8 ferrules. 116 intermediates plus 18 signature wraps. The reel seat is stamped 'Montague City Rod, Amherst, Mass'. This is a beautiful Rod that appears to be unfished. However, it spent its life in the fitted holder and suffered a complete varnish melt down with lots of the velvet form material embedded in the finish. I careful removed the old varnish(a very tedious task) and redipped.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Montague rod

Post by jeffkn1 »

I have forgotten what years they marked the rods that way but I know that a model called the Royal was cataloged in the Twenties and possibly earlier. I'm sure Rex will add to that.
A previous discussion of the Royal can be found here:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=112772&hilit=montague+royal

canefisher

Post by canefisher »

Jeffkn1, thanks that looks like my rod. I counted the intermediates again and there are 129.

fisherman911
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by fisherman911 »

That is nice work and a beautiful rod. Maybe you could let us know how it casts.

Tangiersound
Guide

Post by Tangiersound »

That is a very nice old rod in a nice length. I have a couple but not that short. Thanks for sharing!

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

fisherman911 wrote:
12/28/20 14:29
That is nice work and a beautiful rod. Maybe you could let us know how it casts.
Indeed! With 8/64 tip ferrules, that should be one delicate rod.

canefisher

Post by canefisher »

Hi guys, this is indeed a kinda' slow delicate stick I have tried a DT-3 but it seemed a bit over lined and I feel A 2wt might be a better fit. I don't have a 2wt line so I'm open to suggestions. Sylk, Wulff ? What do ya think?

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Yes, as Jeff indicated, it is a Montague Royal model. Not sure what years they were made, but definitely into the 1920's, maybe starting in the teens. I just had one in my hands 10 minutes ago, though not nearly as nice shape as yours.

Can you imagine making these in batches of 100 or more? How tedious would that be to sit there and put all of those intermediates on. I've laid tips from 2 different Royal rods side-by-side and the wraps and guides are so uniform, that you can't tell the difference. The variation in the cane color was the only thing that kept me from getting them mixed up.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

canefisher

Post by canefisher »

Rex and Jeff,
Thanks for your help! Your knowledge of history is truly amazing and an example of what makes this forum a great resource.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”