Erwin Weller #20

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Jeeper

Erwin Weller #20

Post by Jeeper »

I am very new to split cane rods and looking for a nice "5wt" without breaking the bank. I found a craigslist ad for an Erwil Weller #20 that looks like its in nice condition but I cannot find any info on Weller rods.

So my questions are:
1. Who made the rod?
2. Is it a decent rod?
3. Is it worth the $300 he is asking?

These are the only pictures I am able to get at this time.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Erwin Weller #20

Post by Shrimpman »

What is the length?
It's a Heddon-made rod, lower-end by the looks of the ferrules, with bad varnish, but otherwise clean (or rebuilt in the past). If we assume that it is (or is the equivalent of) a Heddon #20, though the wrap colors look to be those of a #17 Black Beauty, the price wouldn't be terrible for one of the shorter, lighter tapers if you don't mind dealing with bad Heddon varnish. At least that's what I feel as the coffee takes hold of my brain...

Addendum- I looked it up on Craigslist and it's a 9' rod, so I wouldn't give $300 for it.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”