Sewell N Dunton & Son 7.5 ft 6wt 2 tips

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

coolhl7
Sport

Sewell N Dunton & Son 7.5 ft 6wt 2 tips

Post by coolhl7 »

well, I bought my first bamboo rod and would like to know what it is worth and any advise on
what to do or not to do to it. Looks like the ferrules need some cleaning but nice and smooth and snug.
perfectly straight as I can tell.
cork was never cleaned or sanded. no work ever done on this rod at all.
was bought in early to mid 70's. not fished much at all according to original
owner who switched to Winston Boron and kept it stored since.
No dings or mold....
4.2 oz on my digital scale.
There is a much lighter 6.5 5wt for sale by owner I might pick depending on what you guys say about this rod.
thanks so much!!!!

coolhl7
Sport

Re: Sewell N Dunton & Son 7.5 ft 6wt 2 tips

Post by coolhl7 »

I should add that it has not been fished since the mid 70's....
I did lawn cast it with a WF4 and it suited my casting stroke just fine since I am used to high end fast graphite rods.
I would imagine guys with a slower casting style may prefer a WF5 or DT6.....

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

Norm,

My Dunton is a two piece, 6’ rod with #161 written on the shaft. I’m guessing that it’s probably a 2 or 3wt. Very delicate rod. The grip is almost identical to your Dunton rod and has the silk thread wrap for a winding check. Very well made and a bargain for what I paid for it. As for value, factoring in the nightmare that the recent months have become, the uncertainty of the times and the complete collapse of value for certain bamboo rods, $150 to $200 would be about right. That’s how crazy the market for well made vintage bamboo has become, a $500, give or take, rod selling for $150 to $200. Sewell Dunton was not a big name maker but you can see the quality of their more expensive offerings. I think they are a great value for anyone wanting to experience bamboo for the first time.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

I would value it at more than that.

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

wrong66 wrote:
01/15/21 16:45
I would value it at more than that.
I agree but as stagnant as the used rod market is right now they’re just not moving at prices you would expect, specifically the Sewell N Dunton rods. Doesn’t look like the market will ever bounce back. The last couple of short Dunton rods I’ve seen on the big auction site sold way short of what I would have expected. Just my thoughts.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

Here are some photos of the 6’, 2-2 Dunton rod I have. I have no idea if it has a model name, the only thing written on the shaft is #161. Lightly flamed cane and very fine tips.

Norman Maclean

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

I believe that the OP's rod is a higher grade than Uniquafly as it has more guides. Could it have been rewrapped & made into a better fishing rod? Of course. I have no idea as to value.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

I'd say it's a $250 - $300 rod. Keep in mind, if you clean the tarnish off the male ferrules, the fit will be to loose.

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

The 1959 Sewell Dunton catalog listed the model 161 as weighing 2 11/20th ounces and priced at $42. That’s a very light rod.

Norman Maclean

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”