9' 3 section octagonal bamboo w/out mark

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

macrinehart

9' 3 section octagonal bamboo w/out mark

Post by macrinehart »

Hi all - new to the forum. A few years ago I got this rod from my dad, who said it used to belong to his grandfather. It's not great condition, tip section has a slight bend, several eyes missing, and there must be something missing for a reel seat. I don't see any maker's Mark.

For my great grandfather, depending on when he bought it, could be as old as the early 1900s up to 1950s. He had property on the North Oregon Coast and used to fish on the lake and creek, I imagine for sea run cutthroat and trout.

I'm curious about the history, and background of this rod. Could it be repaired and usable? Or is it destined to be neglected in the corner of my garage?

I see it sitting out there and am put in mind of the Velveteen Rabbit. Maybe this old rod will find a second life!

macrinehart

Re: 9' 3 section octagonal bamboo w/out mark

Post by macrinehart »

Sorry also for not reading posting guidelines. A few more relevant details. 3 sections are equal length. I don't think the tip is swappable (not sure how I would tell). There is no sleeve or case for the rod. Thread is old and brittle with several eyes missing on middle and butt section. Reel seat seems to be missing. But aside from the warp in the tip section the blank seems fine.

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Pm sent

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

Appears to be a Montague or Union Hardware rod in, as you are aware, pretty tough shape and on the lower part of the totem pole. But considering the family conection, I believe worth spending some $s to put right. These rods were very common and it shouldn't be a problem finding the needed parts to rehab the rod and there are many folks out there doing just that sort of work.
Check out ebay for a parts rod and you could query the "restorations" here for rehab cost or jump in and do it yourself. Lots of good "how to" info here as well.
Good luck with it.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Between the archives here and You Tube, the job of restoring this rod can be achieved at a rather modest cost. The tip section is straightenable, though it's likely to resume that set upon regular use. Clear closeups of the ferrules will be needed to narrow down the ID. Reel seats can be salvaged from any of the zillion parts rods floating around out there. Knowing the distance from the end of the butt to the end of the grip will help in that regard. If there are large areas of finish loss it would make sense to just strip all the guides and varnish and go from there.
Also, it's a minor point but your rod is most likely a 6-strip rod, which would be hexagonal. There is a growing trend on ebay (The Great Corrupter of adjectives in American speech) toward using octagonal, which indicates 8-strip construction, a somewhat scarcer approach reserved for a small percentage of higher priced rods from a handful of makers.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

I believe your vintage bamboo rod was built by Union Hardware of Torrington, CT, based on the winding check, the cork shape and the signature windings above the grip. My guess is that it was built some time in the late 1920's to mid-1930's based on the winding check style.

I hope that helps.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

After some experience paying for cane rod restoration; in this instance, given probable provenance, I say there is a time when a rod becomes a family heirloom, restored or not.

The MonyMan's knowledge is beyond bamboo rod galactic, but possibly a bit less than Steve's, Dwight's and Ward's . Sadly Mr. Jim Loucks is gone, so we can't ask him, or can we?

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

I believe what Rex says.....

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Following Jeffkn1's advice, with some searching and a little luck you could probably find a parts rod or fixer-upper with a reel seat that could match your fly rod. Chances are the parts rod you need won't be marked either. I've seen a good number of them. Look for that distinctive looking cork shape and winding check (the metal piece at the top of the cork). The reel seat you'll be looking for will be all metal with a down-locking sliding band to hold the reel on.

I searched the big online auction site yesterday, but didn't find one. If I happen to see one, I'll drop you a line to let you know.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”