Factory fresh H-I

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Rio Grand King
Guide

Factory fresh H-I

Post by Rio Grand King »

Probably the cleanest H-I rod in existence. Inherited it from my late grandpa's brother in-law. ImageIt has been sitting in my rod rack for decades. Time to sell to someone who can appreciate it. Essentially un-fished as the photos show. Your basic "Featherweight" two tipper. No idea what it's worth. Anyone have an idea/really want it?

“The things that I loved were very frail. Very fragile. I didn't know that. I thought they were indestructible. They weren't.”
― Cormac McCarthy, The Sunset Limited

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Factory fresh H-I

Post by Shrimpman »

Is it a "Featherweight" or "Featherlight"? What is its length and what is the quality of the ferrules? As for the "cleanest in existence", that is, with all due respect, used car lot language and probably doesn't apply to a rod with a soiled grip.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Shrimpman wrote:
02/14/21 04:07
Is it a "Featherweight" or "Featherlight"? What is its length and what is the quality of the ferrules? As for the "cleanest in existence", that is, with all due respect, used car lot language and probably doesn't apply to a rod with a soiled grip.
Or one that's probably been re-wrapped. "Factory Fresh" are dangerous words and should be used with extreme caution. Rod has been fished quite a bit for the grip to be that soiled.

Rio Grand King
Guide

Post by Rio Grand King »

What I'm trying to convey is that this rod is as close to "brand spanking new" as there is. I got it in the 80's and marvelled at how fresh (is that word o.k.?) it was even then. It had obviously hardly ever been fished. I already owned "better" rods and never even cast it, just kept it in its aluminum case. It is a 9' three piece twin tip. Ferrules are as you would expect on an essentially un-fished rod.
Can't help you if you think that grip is heavily soiled - check out the reel mount section.

“The things that I loved were very frail. Very fragile. I didn't know that. I thought they were indestructible. They weren't.”

bamboo rodley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bamboo rodley »

You don't mention the length of the rod, but I am guessing it is a 7 ft rod. Is that correct. Is there a bag and tube. Are all sections straight and good ferrule fit. Lot of missing information that would be needed to give an accurate value, as well as better photos showing the full rod. Based on the information given thus far, probably somewhere between $100 and $200. A search of this topic on the forum doesn't bring up anything specific to this rod model, but it is likely a variation of the Tonka Prince. There was a Featherweight model offered in 8 1/2 and 9 ft lengths that was in the mid to lower end of their model quality.

Rio Grand King
Guide

Post by Rio Grand King »

Thanks bamboo rodley.
It is a 9' Featherlight. It is in an aluminum tube with the original cloth bag.
Undoubtedly an inexpensive rod in its day. Really think that the rod's best use would be as a display piece for someone who collects H-I since, to reemphasize, it looks basically new.
All those orange and black wraps are stunning, but I bet it doesn't cast all that well.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Sure would help if we could see the whole rod.

Rio Grand King
Guide

Post by Rio Grand King »

To the fellow who sent the PM. Tried to respond last night, but this darn message system let me down (not for the first time). Don't have an easy workaround without giving out my e-mail which I'm reluctant to do.
Last edited by Titelines on 02/15/21 07:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to conform to forum rules on decorum

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

You got what you were looking for right, $$s # right? And of course, selling belongs in the classifieds.
Time to move on please. Thanks.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Rio Grand King wrote:
02/14/21 10:52
What I'm trying to convey is that this rod is as close to "brand spanking new" as there is.
We got that, only the pictures do not support what you are trying to say. It’s not close to brand spanking new. It’s been fished multiple times. The grip pictures are clear. I get that you want it to be worth as much as possible but listen to the advice you have been given, it is correct, the rod is used and appears to be in excellent condition and worth around $150 assuming there aren’t any hidden issues.

If you want to see factory fresh check out the refinished Orvis that’s in the appraisal section right now. It shows what a new grip looks like.

Rio Grand King
Guide

Post by Rio Grand King »

Thanks to all for your comments and concerns.

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

I can dig out a W&M Granger Aristocrat that not only hasn't been fished, it wasn't even taken out of its tube for its first 40+ years until I purchased it. Grip has factory plastic over the cork. The tube didn't even have a mark on it until our moving company didn't wrap it as I asked and now has a slight line around it. When I opened the tube for the first time after my purchase you could smell the varnish and a small pamphlet fell out of the folds of the rod bag. That doesn't mean that it is worth all that much.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

Wow! :eek
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

OldCane wrote:
02/16/21 16:51
I can dig out a W&M Granger Aristocrat that not only hasn't been fished, it wasn't even taken out of its tube for its first 40+ years until I purchased it. Grip has factory plastic over the cork. The tube didn't even have a mark on it until our moving company didn't wrap it as I asked and now has a slight line around it. When I opened the tube for the first time after my purchase you could smell the varnish and a small pamphlet fell out of the folds of the rod bag. That doesn't mean that it is worth all that much.
Worth a new thread and yes it probably means it’s worth that much. Even if it’s a 9 footer the condition and the pamphlet will add a major premium to the price.

John

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

BigTJ wrote:
04/08/21 09:43
OldCane wrote:
Worth a new thread and yes it probably means it’s worth that much. Even if it’s a 9 footer the condition and the pamphlet will add a major premium to the price.

John
+1

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

I’ve always liked the wrap color of the Aristocrat. Looks nice against the rich color of that cane!
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

OldCane wrote:
Dig it out and show us some photos. On a different thread.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”