Help ID'ing Old 8' Rod with Chubb Reel Seat

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

sawtelle8
Guide

Help ID'ing Old 8' Rod with Chubb Reel Seat

Post by sawtelle8 »

Hi,
I recently picked up this 8 footer at an on-line auction & would appreciate some help in identifying it. See attached photos.

Both the mid, bottom pieces are 32 3/4" in length and the tip is 29". No label or even a ghost pattern label is present. The taper at the winding check is 25/64 and 5/64 at the tip top.

The bottle shaped ferrules are 18/64 and 11/64 and the male ferrules ends are cupped.

It has a 3 1/2" cap and ring Chubb reel seat with no engravings/markings on the reel seat. A 6" full wells grip.

The wraps seem to be done a while ago and not original, so I can't get any insight into the wrap colors, and as mentioned earlier, no signature wrap ghosting patterns are present.

My initial assessment is that it is an early (20'ish) Monty or Chubb trade rod based on the reel seat and the winding check; but would appreciate any additional insights.

Thanks in advance,
Sawtelle

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Re: Help ID'ing Old 8' Rod with Chubb Reel Seat

Post by TheMontyMan »

The reel seat is Montague styling from the late 1920's. There's a mix of different ferrules. It appears at least one of the ferrules was made by Union Hardware. Someone stripped it down pretty well so the signature windings and intermediates don't show.

Not much else I can tell about it.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

sawtelle8
Guide

Post by sawtelle8 »

Thanks Rex,
I guess the lesson learned is that not all old 8 ft rods are created equal. I should have asked more questions during the bidding phase.

thanks again
Sawtelle

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

It should still be interesting to fish with.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”