Need ID on this Unique vintage bamboo fly rod?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

danmassie1
Guide

Need ID on this Unique vintage bamboo fly rod?

Post by danmassie1 »

Who made this? 9' foot, 4 pieces all the same length. two tips. Rod has been rebuilt, refinished with newer snake guides and revarnished. Has unique ferrules i've never seen before and the reel seat at the bottom is stamped Genuine German Silver. Has a custom leather pliable wrapped handle that when pressed has the firmness of cork. No tube or rod sock. besides the refinish and wraps I think the rest of the rod is original. the original components are in excellent condition and has a high quality refinish. Ferrules and reel base is nickel silver. the rod weight of the three pieces with agate tip is 6.5oz
1)The length of the rod when assembled is 9ft
(2)the number of pieces that make up the rod: 3
(3)It has with a second tip
(4) all the rod sections are the same length
(5) general condition is overall excellent
(6) says genuine german silver at the bottom base.
(7) there is no box/tube or sock
(8) Pictures are attached:
Thanks!

uniquafly
Master Guide

Re: Need ID on this Unique vintage bamboo fly rod?

Post by uniquafly »

Looks like a rod built by Union Hardware.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

danmassie1
Guide

Post by danmassie1 »

did Union hardware build there own rods? I thought Horrocks and Ibbotson made them? I was told when i purchase this it was a H & I. Sure is a cool looking rod.

OldCane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by OldCane »

Union Hardware made rods for decades. Search the forum for discussions regarding UH.
I don't have a PhD, but I do have a DD214.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

OldCane wrote:
03/27/21 04:10
Union Hardware made rods for decades. Search the forum for discussions regarding UH.
Correct. One of the largest manufacturers of bamboo rods for at least 40 years.

bambookill
Guide

Post by bambookill »

I think it’s an early H&I. However, I can’t completely rule out Union Hardware. I have an early Union Hardware with all solid NS parts, but your sliding band and ferrules match my H&I closer. Just my 0.02 worth.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Looks like someone pieced this one together from the parts bin. The reel seat is definitely H-I. The winding check's knurling doesn't match the reel seat and it looks more like Union Hardware or Montague styling. The ferrules resemble some that I've seen on H-I rods, but nothing that Union Hardware or Montague made.

My 2 cents.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

Edwards1216

Post by Edwards1216 »

My Grandfather was the Master tool and die , Supervisor of Union Hardware Torrington Ct from 20’ thru 70. He put into play what was designed. UH made their own from start to finish for years! My husband worked there in 70’s and some the designs that didn’t make it were still there. My basement is full of them, which my grandsons are using to get instruction in fly fishing!

fishugo
Guide

Post by fishugo »

This 8-1/2’ 3 piece rod came to me from a former Union Hardware senior employee, who had it over 50? years.
Was never fished but is a firm caster on the lawn. Feels like a 6 weight impregnated Orvis.

These photos show shop notes on its conception and development. What it is and how it got here is an unfolding mystery. The cork quality seems inferior to the wraps, ferrules and finish. The reel sear is unmarked and might be chromed. Ferrules NS.

fishugo
Guide

Post by fishugo »

Sincerely appreciate the comments and observations on the dog’s breakfast of metal in this rod.
The variety of bits and pieces might pop up in a Frankenstein laboratory when someone is trying to produce
a new blank. I believe this is a prototype for a blank with its specs in ink sealed below the finish. The inked notes detail a history of specs and measurements and approvals. The mystery is whodunit.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”