Sad Granger Deluxe

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Sad Granger Deluxe

Post by bugslinger »

Abandoned project rod....all sections unequal lengths, bad rewrap on several guides and sets in three of four sections. Any idea of the year? I went through 43 pages here on “Granger Deluxe” with no matches. Thanks!

Vaughanwilson3022
Master Guide

Re: Sad Granger Deluxe

Post by Vaughanwilson3022 »

Appears to be 1st era (1918-1922) rod with a few replaced ferrules as 1st era ferrules were similar to Leonard style ferrules. Reel seat with soldered cap were only used during this period. Lack of swelled butt is consistent with that time period as well.

Bryan has some great Granger info at finecane.com to compare this rod to.
Last edited by Vaughanwilson3022 on 03/21/21 05:30, edited 1 time in total.

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Thank you.....

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Gave up....free to good home.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

This thread should be moved to rodmaking.

Where I have landed on this is to not try to match the color of old wraps that are aged. I get as close as I can with the correct thread if I can find it or a suitable replacement but leave the obvious difference so it can be seen the wrap was replaced. It otherwise seems like I’m trying to pull a fast one. A restored wrap means the rod is no longer totally original and the slight difference in wrap color confirms it. Nitrocellulose lacquer and spar varnish is what I use for Granger wraps.

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

No thanks to the help I didn’t get....the section is spoken for. Thanks for the few that did respond.

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

Here’s some pictures of the Deluxe that a friend finished......

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

Any First Era Granger is a rare rod regardless of condition.

Your DeLuxe shouldn't be confused with later Granger DeLuxes which share the model/grade name only.
I believe your rod may still be worth restoration by the right person, i.e. Scott Whitman.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”