Hardy 7'6" hollolight

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

troutnut
Master Guide

Hardy 7'6" hollolight

Post by troutnut »

I would like to get an appraisal for a Hardy 7'6" Hollolight #4. Short tip is original I had tip repaired and I was told it was an English tip. Not original tube or bag. I would like to sell this fly rod.

troutnut
Master Guide

Re: Hardy 7'6" hollolight

Post by troutnut »

Nobody has any idea of the value of this nice little bamboo flyrod?

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

Hi, if you want to know what it's worth, and you want to sell it, put it on ebay or Angling Marketplace. Include a clearer description. You will then find out the value, whatever it sells for!

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Please, what is meant by "Short tip is original I had tip repaired and I was told it was an English tip". If it was repaired, why is it still short and tipless in the photo? One would assume that a Hardy's would have an "English tip", no?

troutnut
Master Guide

Post by troutnut »

Shrimpman
A friend had it done by friend of his and he just got a new tip and then said it was an english tip not sure of what maker That was about 8 to 10 years ago. My friend that had it for awhile for the repair is no longer with us to ask. When I got the fly rod the tip was broken by about 4 or 5 inches. I sent it with my friend and he had a new tip redone for it.
Fred

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

Fred - Your photo shows a full length tip and a broken tip. Are you saying the full length tip was not original to the rod and has not been repaired but just wrapped and finished to match the butt and mid sections? And that the broken one shown in the photo is the original tip that was repaired and then broken again?? Sorry but it's hard to understand what has been done.

troutnut
Master Guide

Post by troutnut »

The short tip is original I've never had it repaired. The 2nd tip is a new tip that was replaced. The person who redid the tip just took the guides and ferrule from the broken tip and replaced with a new tip that is supposedly from an english maker.
Fred

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

OK, thanks for clearing that up. The broken tip, even though it's the original one, has little to no value. Theoretically someone could replace the hardware on it and scarf a new tip on but it's unlikely given the value of the rod. So basically you have a rod with a replaced tip section and non original bag & tube. One unknown is whether the replaced section has the same taper as the original and if the action is acceptable. I would want to cast before buying and would be sure there is a return policy. Assuming the sections are straight, the ferrule fit is snug (both metal to metal and metal to bamboo), and the thread and cane of the replaced tip section is a reasonably good match I would guess the value would be around $300. If the sections aren't straight or there are ferrule problems, the value would be quite a bit less. This is just my opinion, others may be better qualified to set a current value.

troutnut
Master Guide

Post by troutnut »

Thanks tiptop I have no way of knowing who made the 2nd tip. I have cast it years ago and if I remember it like a 4 wt. or would also cast a 5 wt. The person who redid the tip used the same thread that Hardy used. I guess I will have check it out and cast it again and make sure ferrules fit properly. I have not had it out for awhile except to take pictures.
Thanks
Fred

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Looks to me like all the guide wraps were re-done and the intermediates and signature wrap were left as-is. In the first photo you can see the signature wraps are the correct more orangish color, while the guide wraps are more yellow. The guide wraps also have color preserved bleed through the original wraps would not have that. There is also at least one broken off guide. With all these issues ( ones mentioned above regarding repairs and short tip included) this is a fixer-upper that would probably fetch closer to $200. Nice project for somebody.

John

tiptop
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by tiptop »

BigTJ wrote:
03/30/21 16:45
Looks to me like all the guide wraps were re-done and the intermediates and signature wrap were left as-is. In the first photo you can see the signature wraps are the correct more orangish color, while the guide wraps are more yellow. The guide wraps also have color preserved bleed through the original wraps would not have that. There is also at least one broken off guide. With all these issues ( ones mentioned above regarding repairs and short tip included) this is a fixer-upper that would probably fetch closer to $200. Nice project for somebody.

John
As the OP stated, all the guides and ferrule were taken off of the broken original tip so the the guides and wraps on the good 3 sections are intact. The exposures in the photos make it very difficult to say anything about the color of the wraps. The wraps in the foreground will look lighter.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Sorry but respectfully disagree. The OP came here asking for opinions I gave mine based on the restoration work I’ve done, pictures of other hollolight rods on the internet, and what can be pretty easily seen in the photos. It would not be the first time somebody forgot or misunderstood about the work previously done on a rod. Or maybe the re-wrap was done before he owned it and was never noticed. This rod has clearly been worked over quite a bit and the damage to the guides and tips is a question mark. It is also unusual to have to take a male ferrule out of the equation what happened there? A lot more question marks in this rod than answers.

On closer inspection the stripping guide wrap looks original but the rest look replaced. In the first photo the intermediates match the winding check wrap color but not the guide wraps there is no lighting affecting that. I’m not a Hardy expert but when I google hollolight rods the correct ones seem to have consistent orangish hue wraps. Here is an an example:

https://www.rwsummers.com/hardy/2114-hardy-hollolight

You may also have missed the first snake on the mid has a guide that is almost all the way pulled out.

EDIT: there appears to be damage on the tip side of the mid right below the female ferrule . At minimum a delamination. It’s not looking like a glue line there is an open gap and there seem to be some corresponding deep scuffs in the ferrule. Look closely there is a gap for 3 to 5 inches.looks like it was covered up by the first wrap on the tip side of the mid. A close up picture would help to confirm if this is damage or just a really bad glue line. Regardless both hurt the value and assume it is the former. Without more info revise my estimate down to $50-$100 as a parts rod. Sorry for the bad news.

Best regards,

John

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

BigTJ wrote:
03/30/21 22:49
Sorry but respectfully disagree. The OP came here asking for opinions I gave mine based on the restoration work I’ve done, pictures of other hollolight rods on the internet, and what can be pretty easily seen in the photos. It would not be the first time somebody forgot or misunderstood about the work previously done on a rod. Or maybe the re-wrap was done before he owned it and was never noticed. This rod has clearly been worked over quite a bit and the damage to the guides and tips is a question mark. It is also unusual to have to take a male ferrule out of the equation what happened there? A lot more question marks in this rod than answers.

On closer inspection the stripping guide wrap looks original but the rest look replaced. In the first photo the intermediates match the winding check wrap color but not the guide wraps there is no lighting affecting that. I’m not a Hardy expert but when I google hollolight rods the correct ones seem to have consistent orangish hue wraps. Here is an an example:

https://www.rwsummers.com/hardy/2114-hardy-hollolight

You may also have missed the first snake on the mid has a guide that is almost all the way pulled out.

EDIT: there appears to be damage on the tip side of the mid right below the female ferrule . At minimum a delamination. It’s not looking like a glue line there is an open gap and there seem to be some corresponding deep scuffs in the ferrule. Look closely there is a gap for 3 to 5 inches.looks like it was covered up by the first wrap on the tip side of the mid. A close up picture would help to confirm if this is damage or just a really bad glue line. Regardless both hurt the value and assume it is the former. Without more info revise my estimate down to $50-$100 as a parts rod. Sorry for the bad news.

Best regards,

John
I’m a little late to the party but I would agree. Very hard to discern from the photo but the mid looks a little hinky, like some sort of damage there. Also, Hardy uses a standard American style tip-top on rods destined for the American market and those god awful tip-tops normally used on bait casters, sometimes referred to as “English tip-tops”, for rods sold in the UK.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”