Sport King M/29 - Who made it and other questions

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

driftless angler
Master Guide

Re: Sport King M/29 - Who made it and other questions

Post by driftless angler »

So a few differences that could dictate a different model number.

I have read here that the 7'8" Tonka Queen can be found at 7'7", 7'8", and 7'9" (mine is 7'8.5"!). Perhaps quality control was not HI's thing. With the casting rod tip top that came on my rod, it was replaced at some point, perhaps due to an inch being broken off, which would make my M/29 originally 7'1", with equal sections. What do you think of that theory?

EastslopesTH
Master Guide

Post by EastslopesTH »

That could very well be it. Yours must have broken off at one time given the incorrect rod tip. Does your Tonka Queen have equal length tip and butt?

driftless angler
Master Guide

Post by driftless angler »

Yep my Queen has two tips, both the same length as the butt.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

EastslopesTH wrote:
04/05/21 10:37
Yes the black tar-like adhesive can be tough to deal with, but like I said cycles of heat/cold will break it down. I've never had to whittle the seat down with a knife to get the seat off. It sort of reminds me of removing Granger ferrules where again, cycles of hot and cold and plenty of patience seem to do the trick
Granger tip ferrules will seemingly forever haunt me. The be blown the moisture plug on a couple and have given up on more than a few the heat seems to just rejuvenate the glue. Then a year later the ferrule just gives up and comes off. Maddening. I’ll try the heat cycling trick on the next one (there always seems to be a couple waiting in line) thanks for the tip.

John

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”