Info on Payne rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

EMPetry

Info on Payne rod

Post by EMPetry »

I’m looking for information on the following rod

It is a 3 section rod in excellent condition.

The sections are all the same length with the exception of a second shorter tip section.

Length is 9 feet with the longer tip and 7’ 9” with the shorter tip

The name Jack Lytle, Indiana, Pa is on the main shaft (This is also on the tube). The bag has no markings.

The Payne logo is on the main shaft.

Random Casts
Master Guide

Re: Info on Payne rod

Post by Random Casts »

Um...it seems that this rod is in not so excellent a condition. The good news is that the butt, mid and one tip seem ok. The bad news is that some one took it upon themselves to rewrap the guides and hook keeper, which isn’t correct, with non standard thread. I can’t tell from the pics the quality of the varnish finish.

The bag and tube look to be original to the rod.

If the effort was to keep this rod on the water by an amateur, then good on them, as far as originality not so much.

There are some great restorers here on the forum. It don’t think that it would be out of the realm of possibility to restore this rod to its former glory, all it takes is a little determination and a few bucks.

I’m sure others will pipe in,
Richard
Random Casts

uniquafly
Master Guide

Re: Info on Payne rod

Post by uniquafly »

Random Casts wrote:
04/04/21 17:55
Um...it seems that this rod is in not so excellent a condition. The good news is that the butt, mid and one tip seem ok. The bad news is that some one took it upon themselves to rewrap the guides and hook keeper, which isn’t correct, with non standard thread. I can’t tell from the pics the quality of the varnish finish.

The bag and tube look to be original to the rod.

If the effort was to keep this rod on the water by an amateur, then good on them, as far as originality not so much.

There are some great restorers here on the forum. It don’t think that it would be out of the realm of possibility to restore this rod to its former glory, all it takes is a little determination and a few bucks.

I’m sure others will pipe in,
Richard
I agree with Richard.

If you could post better closeups of the ferrules and wraps, the winding check at the cork grip and a closer photo of the short tip may help. From a distance, the short tip section looks like it possibly has some of the original wraps. It will be hard to come up with a model number without better photos. “Possibly” could be a Bass Bug model or maybe even a 208H.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”