Orvis SEVEN/four 7’ 2 3/4 oz HFG 4 2 tips

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Hello folks,

Picked up this rod years ago, it sat for a few years, I fished the big Thompson with it in Colorado, mind you I did not know much when I bought it and probably know even less now. I did try to do some looking and was not able to find out who specifically built it, just that it is from roughly 1979/1980. Would be great to find out the name of the maker too.

I would like a few opinions on the price. Why? I had a near death experience and I came out physically unscathed but I realized I have some decent things that will need to be passed down or sold and in either instance knowing the value for the uninformed recipient or at least something close would be helpful to them.

Meat and potatoes- I suck at casting so I am a bad judge but it seems to smile at me a few times when I focus. The condition seems like new to me - it does not have any missing finish, ferrules are very tight, one tip is perfect the other has ever the slightest turn to the right with guides facing up, the grip is almost new looking, the sock is like new, the tube has some wear, some scratches, no dents.

Any price suggestions you may have are appreciated- her new stomping ground is the drift less region of western Wisconsin.

Thank you in advance

I did attempt to attach pics so hopefully they come through.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Orvis SEVEN/four 7’ 2 3/4 oz HFG 4 2 tips

Post by Tommasini »

I don't recall the seven/four being a 3 pc.? Very desirable rod, the best Orvis taper! If all sections are equal length and in excellent condition as shown, $800-$850.

adrien schnee
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by adrien schnee »

Marty, I’m pretty sure all were 3/2 - 13/64 and 9/64 ferrules. There were a few cosmetic variations available during the near 30 year run of the rods though. I’ve never cast one, but would like to. You’re right that they seem to be almost unanimously well liked. Most I have seen for sale in the past few years have been in the $800 to $950 range, depending partly if they were being sold privately or through dealers and of course condition.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Seven/four are very desirable rods. Mint goes for just below a grand.
The condition it is described around $500-600

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

To answer the question regarding the tips - yes both are the same length- no repairs - no scratches or chips to finish- basically the rod itself looks new except for slight discoloration in the cork from bright new.

Hope that helps

Thank you again

Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

83461 - does that serial number help in finding out who built it?

Thank you

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Mushroom,

I sent you a pm

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”