Champion Rod? Maybe

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Steel67

Champion Rod? Maybe

Post by Steel67 »

Hi, we have an 8 foot, three-piece, bamboo fly rod that we are trying to identify. All three pieces are of similar length though the middle section is about 1.5 - 2" shorter than the tip and base. We don't have a spare tip. As you will see in the pictures there is some remains of a label, maybe "Champion" but I am not certain. Any help you can provide in identifying the type of Rod and sharing a sense of the value would be appreciated.

uniquafly
Master Guide

Re: Champion Rod? Maybe

Post by uniquafly »

I believe the rod is a post world war 2 Japanese, mass manufactured species. Very little value, if any, especially since the mid section is short which renders it to poor condition. The bamboo rods that were mass manufactured in Japan after the war were of so, so quality, some being better than others but still just so, so. You can see an example of the level of quality or lack there of where the guide wraps have very little varnish, if any, covering them.

Hope this helps
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Steel67

Re: Champion Rod? Maybe

Post by Steel67 »

Very helpful. Thanks.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”