Antique Orvis, Devine, or Chubb? Wedding band

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

uniquafly
Master Guide

Re: Antique Orvis, Devine, or Chubb? Wedding band

Post by uniquafly »

bambookill wrote:
04/06/21 11:33
Cwfly, agree that Chubb definitely throws a wrench into the mix. However, and I hope nobody gets upset at what I’m about to say, but I sometimes think we tend to put a anything we can’t immediately identify into the “Chubb file,” without digging into the details a tad bit closer. I could wrong but let’s see... I’m going to post a pic of a marked early rod. Everyone look it over, and see if you can guess who made the rod based on the reel seat? This might be fun. Give it a try... is it a Chubb? It might be, and it might not be? Just for fun, let’s see some guesses. 😊

Very similar to a pre serial number Divine
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

bambookill wrote:
04/05/21 21:41
Uniquafly, agree it’s most likely not a Devine. I have a Fred Divine rattan grip with the F.D. Divine Maker Utica N.Y. (Stamped on one line) into a NS reel seat which is 1885-1888 according to Sinclair’s book, and I also agree I’ve never seen a sheet cork grip on an early Divine. My next early Divine has has a solid cork grip. Which has an 1880-1900 stamp on it.
So...with that said, I can’t rule out Orvis just quite yet on my end, because I have 5 early Orvis rods. 3 with the spring steel 1884 reel seat and two that have the solid wood insert with the little wires. I do agree that this rod would have to predate those rods. I’ve seen some earlier Orvis rods than mine in pics. I think Royce S. has a couple.
Lastly, yes I have the tip and mid, but... the whole rod looks like it was restored 5 times, other than the butt section. I left those parts out as not to confuse the issue. So yeah, I’m curious to see what everyone thinks as well. 😊 but yeah... I agree I think we can rule out Divine. Let’s keep Orvis in there for now to see... I wonder how many early makers used the wedding band just above the butt cap on 6 strip bamboo? I would think it wouldn’t be many? Any thoughts on that? It’s definitely not Murphy, but I have a drawing of a John Krider with the little wedding band on what appears to be a wood real seat, about the same spacing, and an uplocking sliding band, that’s in Schwiebert’s book on page 37. However, sheet cork doesn’t seem likely for it, unless someone changed it. It’s kind of weird that the seam in the sheet cork has very obvious line in it, and it’s not very straight. If only another example would show up 😊
Regarding the grip, if you consider how many times it was restored it quite possibly could have at one time had a rattan covering. As everyone here already knows rattan was a very popular grip covering from the 1880’s to just after the turn of the century. I’m not very knowledgeable on the late 19th century makers ie Wheeler and all the other smaller contemporary builders of his time but I would lean more towards the rod being built by one of them. Not necessarily Wheeler but you know what I mean. Again, it is a shame that the rod’s origin may have been lost due to many facelifts however someone may actually own its brother or cousin to use as a comparison.

I don’t know if it has any significance but the reel seat looks to be made of red cedar.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

I saw the rod on the site, but could not determine it's pedigree. The rod screams Chubb except for the butt cap & sliding band. Any chance it is a early high end HI? HI did make a few early rods with nice small sliding bands.
Previously known as bamboocollector11

bambookill
Guide

Post by bambookill »

Uniquafly, agree the sheet cork seems very odd to me. I have other unmarked rods with a similar red cedar reel insert, which I suspect (H&I) and it has a rattan grip.

bambookill
Guide

Post by bambookill »

Bamboocolletor#1 yes, I do think that could be a possibility. Definitely some H&I features.

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

While doing a little late night/early morning reading I came across a post regarding CF Murphy. viewtopic.php?p=49375#p49375
I thought it somewhat resembled the subject rod in this thread

Norman Maclean

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”