Heddon #11 Biltwell Fly rod with red Wraps

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Tab

Heddon #11 Biltwell Fly rod with red Wraps

Post by Tab »

I picked up this Heddon #11 Biltwell and am unable to find much information on it other than posted on this forum dated July 2016. This rod does appear rare based on what I could/ or should say could not find on it. In the 2016 post, see that the #11 originally came with red wrap with yellow and green trimmings according to the flyer which mine has however noticed the picture of one refurbished is yellow wrap and some mention of green wrap. Is one color wrap more desirable than another. It has an unmarked butt cap. I will note that mine is 9'6" long however has a few issues: couple missing ferrules, missing tip on most flexible rod section (has not been broken based on length), discoloration on cork handle. On the positive side, all sections are full length, varnish isn't bad, and bamboo is in pretty nice condition. Any help on answering the following would be appreciated:
(1)Is this rod worth getting it repaired/refurbished and to what degree.
(2) How many different Wraps and trimmings does the number 11 come in and is one more rare than the other,
(3) Value as is vs refurbished
(4)How many years was #11 made
(5) Any other information on it would be greatly appreciated since I was unable to find much

Thanks in advance for the help

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Heddon #11 Biltwell Fly rod with red Wraps

Post by Shrimpman »

I believe that you may be confusing missing guides with "ferrules", unless there are missing female ferrules not pictured. It is good that all sectons are full length, but few people desire the 9'6" rods and the cost of having it rebuilt would not be worth anything close to the $75-$100 value of it in present condition, in my opinion. Regards,
Shrimpy

Tab

Post by Tab »

Thanks for the quick response and clarification of terminology. Yes all Ferrules are there, just missing a few guides and one tip. I guess in this case rarity (less Common) doesn't = value however I enjoy finding the hunt and research.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Post by Woodlakejag »

I agree with Shrimpy on all. I just picked up an 8 ft #11 (one short tip) for 150, so I would expect a 9’6 to be worth a little less.
I don’t think the 11 was made for more than a year or two. 1932 ish.
I would try to stabilize it (fix wraps, varnish touch ups) because the 11 is relatively rare, but if you pay someone to do it, understand that the rod still won’t be worth much restored. Value will be about the same.
On the upside, I took my #11 8 ft 2F out in the front yard yesterday with a WF5 and it cast great. A very fishable rod considering it was the cheapest rod Heddon ever made.
George
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”