Chippewa #15, 9' Fly Rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Tab

Chippewa #15, 9' Fly Rod

Post by Tab »

Has anyone ever heard of a Chippewa #15 Fly Rod. I was unable to find any information on it in my various searches. No broken ends or missing Tips or Ferrules. It is missing one guide at the bottom. If so, please share any information that you may have. Regards, Tom

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Chippewa #15, 9' Fly Rod

Post by jeffkn1 »

Tom

Not a familiar marking. The rod was in all probability built for a retailer by South Bend, as the hardware is all theirs. Judging by the reel seat it dates back to the Thirties.

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

jeffkn1 wrote:
04/11/21 10:30
Tom

Not a familiar marking. The rod was in all probability built for a retailer by South Bend, as the hardware is all theirs. Judging by the reel seat it dates back to the Thirties.
Looking through the South Bend catalogs, under forum topic “Information About Makers and Manufacturers”, that wrong66 has graciously posted for all of us to use, I see no listing for a #15 Chippewa so it must be a trade rod as jeffkn1 suggests. If all the sections are of the same length and you didn’t pay a whole lot of money for the rod it may be a good candidate for restoration. It looks as if all of the wraps are present. Additionally, it has quite a number of intermediate wraps that suggest that the rod is most likely from the late 20’s to 30’s era. Probably a mid to lower quality rod built by South Bend for some retailer.
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Tab

Post by Tab »

Thanks for the great feedback. Found it at an estate sale for $8.00 along with a few others so may do a restoration since everything is there and correct.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”