Mystery Rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

matthewC

Mystery Rod

Post by matthewC »

Hello everyone!
My name is Matthew and I'm new to the forum. I'm a novice fly fisherman and I'm so bad that I can't even catch a fish in a stocked trout pond. I do enjoy it still and I hope to get better someday.

I just wanted to share a recent find of mine. I found it at a junk store and saved it from being destroyed as someone had taken it out of its case and left it on the floor.

Anyways, I can't seem to find any markings on it so any info on who made it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Matthew

Bamboocollector#1
Master Guide

Re: Mystery Rod

Post by Bamboocollector#1 »

Early Montague/ Chubb rod. Probably pre-1920
Previously known as bamboocollector11

maruoff
Master Guide

Post by maruoff »

How long is that rod or each of the pieces?

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

Bamboocollector#1 wrote:
04/12/21 18:27
Early Montague/ Chubb rod. Probably pre-1920
I agree
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

matthewC

Post by matthewC »

maruoff wrote:
04/13/21 01:32
How long is that rod or each of the pieces?
It's a 3 piece rod w/ extra tip and each piece is about 36 1/2"

uniquafly
Master Guide

Post by uniquafly »

Did the rod only come with the bag, shown in your photos, or does it have a partitioned, form fit case?
“He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.”

Norman Maclean

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”