Seeking appraisal for 9' 3/2 Orvis circa 1948

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Seeking appraisal for 9' 3/2 Orvis circa 1948

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Hi All:

I've been asked to assist in selling the following rod:

- 9' 3/2 Orvis Battenkill circa Feb 1948
- 12/64 & 18/64 ferrules with excellent fitment some blueing wear
- All sections full length
- One tip has a 1 1/2" repair wrap and two of the guides have been rewrapped with non-matching thread and an incorrect tip top attached. Wrap seems sound and is between 1st and second snake guide.
- "Orvis Impregnated" and "Battenkill" barley legible, but appear original
- All sections same s/n 5480, but to my eye, by different hands on the mid section
- Length and weight (which I believe to be incorrect) appear to have been added by someone other than Orvis
- Original full metal (no rock style) downlocking reel seat
- Poplin bag appears original
- Non Orvis non-original aluminum tube

Orvis apparently made 4 different tapers with the same size ferrules in 1948 as the 4 rods are listed with different weights. I don't know which taper this is, but it has unusually fine tips for an Orvis. See it next to a Phillipson 4 1/4 oz rod for comparison. Does the Trout/Bass/Grilse/Salmon configuration effect the value? If it does, I'll contact Orvis next week to see what model this is. Thank you in advance!

Cheers,
Joe

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Seeking appraisal for 9' 3/2 Orvis circa 1948

So I was just told by Orvis that this is the Trout model and was built by George Reid, which doesn't surprise me based upon how fine the tips are. HCH is what, a 7wt? Anyone have any idea as to value?

Cheers,
Joe

16parachuteadams
Master Guide

Post by 16parachuteadams »

It's a nice older rod sir. I've got 5922, an 8/2 Battenkill of that same dark cane also by Mr. Reid. Wonderful rod and still gets a ton of use. Enjoy!
BTW what are you asking for it?

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

16parachuteadams wrote:
11/08/21 21:17
It's a nice older rod sir. I've got 5922, an 8/2 Battenkill of that same dark cane also by Mr. Reid. Wonderful rod and still gets a ton of use. Enjoy!
BTW what are you asking for it?
Still trying to determine what would be a fair asking price. I have an idea, but there isn't a lot of info on recent comparables that I can find.

wctc1
Master Guide

Post by wctc1 »

From recent experience, I suggest that perhaps your asking price is good for a start. It seems not a collector rod. Joe here

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”