Value of an unfished trade rod?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

lloyd3
Master Guide

Value of an unfished trade rod?

Post by lloyd3 »

South Bend Model 323, 9-foot, 3-piece, appears virtually unused w/original sales tag, cloth sock and capped undented tube. The wraps look a little dry to me in places so I'd be hesitant to assemble it fully (it's clearly a Denver retailed rod, a dry place). I bought it in exactly the same state back in the 90s as a gift for my father-in-law (he was living in Montana then). He passed last summer and I found it in his closet, still unused.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Re: Value of an unfished trade rod?

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I just sold one in excellent condition for $175, so maybe $200-250?
Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Kevin, thank you. That's just about where I was thinking. I'm likely going to be donating it to an auction event at my son's highschool. I'll create a card to go with it with age ('49 thru '53), line weight (6) and use suggestions (wallhanger?). Considering that everybody and their brother out here now imagines themselves to be a world-class fly-fisherman, it should be interesting to watch.

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Not sure how a near-mint rod with dried out wraps to the point of not wanting to assemble it would be worth more than a used rod in excellent condition. If it needs a re-wrap that’s a big knock.

John

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

John: Valid point, but you're overlooking something. This old flyrod is a little slice of Americana. It is a fairly unusual example of a consumable item from the late 40s-early '50s that, while once-common, is now something that one seldom encounters anymore. Think about it, when was the last time you saw something like this? Ever? It is as it was when "new" (aside from the possibly dry wraps and ferrule glue) some 70-years ago. And...while it might lack some of the utility it once had, it fairly "drips" with nostalgia for some of us, making it interesting and accordingly "valuable". It's not just a tool anymore, it's a little piece of history.

My dad used to fish worms with rods like this, with an automatic reel slung under it (I'm guessing he wasn't alone in that habit). He flew B-17s in the last World War and loved the peace and tranquility of a rural Pennsylvania trout stream in the 50s and 60s (wouldn't we all?). He's been gone for several years now (made it to almost 92, died a week short of his birthday). I actually have a big, bright red South Bend Automatic reel that is also largely unused. I should probably see if it fits and then include it with my donation.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Post-war production rods are still around in fair numbers, including a number of unused examples. You need to know where to look.They're out there.
With a small brush those dry wraps can be touched up with shellac to the point where no one will know they were dry before. It's a quick fix that will save rewrapping till sometime down the road.
Hold the butt section under your arm and against your rib cage with a foot or so sticking out. Grasp the bamboo firmly below the ferrule with your left hand and try rocking the female with your right. If it's loose, you'll feel and/or hear it. Being a Colorado rod it wouldn't hurt to check them all that way. Keep in mind that this becomes a slippery slope, since you may end up having to reset them with cement. You then will want to rewrap the entire rod because the ferrule wraps and guide wraps won't match.
Your thoughtful generosity can be rewarded with a lot of extra work. Thread touchup is the simplest thing to improve the cosmetics. Do you have photos you can post?

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

jeffkn1: Thanks for that, see my previous post (just added a shot).

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

South Bend either changed the finish formula or they changed the method of application after the war, as the dryness in your photos shows. Brush application of shellac will improve that considerably and will actually help glue the thread to the bamboo, so they'll be better than factory new. Shellac dries quickly and you can add a second coat after drying the first overnight. Zinsser Bulls Eye Clear is popular and readily available. If you can get it in their smallest can size (1/2pint) it should run roughly $12.

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

Jeffkn1: I'm impressed. If I end up keeping it I'll try that sometime. Thankyou!

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

Pics worth a thousand words. The rod is gorgeous and as mentioned just needs a touch up. I was picturing bad wraps. IMO $250, maybe more.

John

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

It looks the same as the wraps on my 323s- quite dried out. I ended up removing the remaining varnish with alcohol on a Q-Tip, then varnishing, which turns them a golden-green that I like. The shellac sounds like a good option.
Also, every South Bend I've had (post-war) has had loose ferrules and loose cork and/or seat from dried-up glue, so mint rods were not fishable without some attention.
The 9' SB323 is a great taper!

lloyd3
Master Guide

Post by lloyd3 »

In the FWIW collumn, my little South Bend combo went for $390 in the auction at my son's school. Made me feel good.

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

That is fairly sweet! :D

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”