Help to ID bamboo short NEPTUNE Fly Rods Michigan w trident - Who’s maker?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

rgcy

Help to ID bamboo short NEPTUNE Fly Rods Michigan w trident - Who’s maker?

Post by rgcy »

Acquired this 4’4” 2/2 bamboo 444 3-4 wt. #2 fly rod on ebay about 15 years past, VERY cheaply my recollection. Nifty it has a simple trident marked on it, too. Was shown w nominal images, when received surprised at how wonderfully built. I was so happy I communicated with the seller who said he happened to be the maker and admitted had only made several (a few?) rods and was NOT going to continue. As in last rod. Struck me odd, and a shame, and that’s why I remember this acquisition.I don’t have my emails with the fellow but recall he was in Michigan.

A gentleman online here has a “Neptune” he thinks also from Michigan, but we haven’t matched them up - his is a short rod acquired pre-2009. He doesn’t have records or recollection either. What does the “DX” stand for? why #2 (second rod built)?

I’d love to know if someone could tell me about this Wonderful rod - of Kiley, Thramer, Orvis, in short bamboo this is my most cherished rod which I happen to take out most for how it fishes and since it was acquired so Inexpensively. Yes I do see the finish isn’t tops nor the slight issue just behind the tiptop! Pinkish Soft Rod bag smells uniquely of cedar and light cigar, if it helps. “Neptune Fly Rods” (plural) seems to me like it was an intended company but no MI corporate records reflect same nor near it (Neptune Ice Rods formed in 2016). Q. Who is the maker? Could he have been an amateur hobbyist?

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”