Rod ID- Chubb/Monty?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Rod ID- Chubb/Monty?

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Hi All,
From reviewing past posts, I think I have this narrowed down as a 9' 3/2 Chubb/Monty rod circa 1920 (+/- 10yrs) but hoping the experts might be able to narrow it down a bit further. There appears to be a possible partial label but it is difficult to tell. Thanks in advance.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Rod ID- Chubb/Monty?

Post by wrong66 »

You have ferrules that don't match, meaning one or more has been replaced. I can't tell if the remnants of the decal might have originally been a Chubb decal.

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Post by TheMontyMan »

Your assessment is correct. Montague produced a line of 3 or 4 models in this style for about 20 years. Not much changed on these models during that period, other than the earliest production sported hanging ring guides. That makes it pretty difficult to narrow the build date down much more than you indicated.

The wraps on the mortising (existing or remaining varnish marks) appear to be original. The wooden form case looks like it could be original if it fits the rod correctly.

The first ferrule picture appears to be original. As wrong66 indicated, the second photo shows a replacement ferrule. I can see enough of the partial label to say for certain that it is not a Chubb or Montague label. It's probably a trade label custom applied for a specific retailer.

To me, this rod style is iconic for the period and is one of my favorite rod styles. The cedar inlaid mortising really adds a classy touch to the cosmetics of these rods.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

Boise Bamboo
Guide

Post by Boise Bamboo »

Thank you, Gentlemen. I appreciate you weighing in. I don't know if this was a particularly "good" rod when produced; but there is something very classy about the mortising, large metal check, and the intermediate wraps of alternating colors.

kevinhaney1
Master Guide

Post by kevinhaney1 »

I agree about the "classy" look Boise. Here's a couple of pictures of a very similar rod that I just had restored by Mark Frey. He did a very nice job!

Kevin

Kevin Haney, Vintage Anglers
http://www.vintageanglers.com

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”