Hardy Hotspur greenheart

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

T-rex
Sport

Hardy Hotspur greenheart

Post by T-rex »

Hello Everyone, I'm curious about a rod I just acquired. It is a Hardy "The Hotspur" greenheart rod. 8' in length. 2 piece 1 tip. It has the locking type twist in ferrules. In VG condition. Marked Hardy's Reg. Universal Reel Holder and Hardy's Pat. Rings A1 38961 all stamped into the metal reel seat parts. Speaking of metal parts are these nickle silver and should I polish them? Are these considered collector worthy? Value? Thanks, T-rex

Gnome
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Hardy Hotspur greenheart

Post by Gnome »

T-Rex

do not polish the blackened brass hardware, surprised that Greenheart Hardy does not have a G series serial number. Not super valuable as a collector piece IMHO but that is where its value lies

2 copper pieces from the cave

T-rex
Sport

Post by T-rex »

Thank you Sir Gnome

Palakona123
Guide

Post by Palakona123 »

Nice rod, but not very collectable or valuable unfortunately. The hotspur rods where made for quite some years, as a cheaper alternative to the palakona split cane rods. The serial number on early greenheart rods follow the same system as cane rods. The number looks a bit odd (longer than usual) but I would guess that the rod was made around 1905.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

T, great to see as I own two of these, both 7’6 for DT5. They’re fine rods and have impressed many. Not highly prized but pretty cool sticks. My rods are totally wood, including grips.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”