Leonard Help 7’ 3/2 2.85 oz

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Leonard Help 7’ 3/2 2.85 oz

Post by BigTJ »

Keep it. The money for shipping would be for nothing better to spend it getting the rod re-wrapped and the ferrules checked out.

John

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

To be absolutely fair, this was usually my policy when I used to sell on ebay a lot. Folks would sometimes try to reduce their bid by insulting the merchandise after they paid for and received it. I'm certainly NOT saying that is what's happening here, but I found it easier to just cancel the sale rather than run the risks of negotiating after the fact.

It is totally fair and right to contact the seller to try to work something out when condition isn’t as advertised. Just cancelling the sale how would that benefit both parties in any way? Seller will never get the same price and buyer is probably out $80 for nothing.

John

Short Tip
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Short Tip »

BigTJ wrote:
11/23/21 19:30

To be absolutely fair, this was usually my policy when I used to sell on ebay a lot. Folks would sometimes try to reduce their bid by insulting the merchandise after they paid for and received it. I'm certainly NOT saying that is what's happening here, but I found it easier to just cancel the sale rather than run the risks of negotiating after the fact.

It is totally fair and right to contact the seller to try to work something out when condition isn’t as advertised. Just cancelling the sale how would that benefit both parties in any way? Seller will never get the same price and buyer is probably out $80 for nothing.

John
In this case, likely true. And yes, it is totally fair and right. In my case, I like to think I'm a knowledgeable and honest seller, so if someone starts picking at an item after the fact, it's a red flag. I'll work with anyone to complete a sale but sometimes the best path is to start over. I was clear to point out that didn't seem to be the case here. Just a perspective, from someone who's spent a lot of time on both sides of the counter.

jvh
Master Guide

Post by jvh »

FWIW. I was at a show selling a few rods. Had one that did not sell. I packed it up, put it in the truck and drove home. A few weeks later I was going to fish the rod and when I took it out of the tube one guide was missing. It was in the bottom of bag. I packed it, transported it and unpacked it. Never had that happen before. I know I did not do it during packing or in unpacking so it had the happen in the truck on the drive home. When i checked other guides were close to coming loose.
Point is maybe the guides coming loose was not caused by the seller. Just maybe.
Not taking sides just a different view of things to consider.
I've had a few issues selling on the net. Don't do it any more. It's person to person or nothing.
Vern

Eddie Southgate
Master Guide

Post by Eddie Southgate »

I'd keep it and have it completely rewrapped . I have had several dry wraps that didn't stand up to shipping and without exception all the rods they were on needed new wraps . If it hadn't happened in shipping it would have happened while you were fishing it .
Wore out old rod junkie , WILL WORK FOR RODS .

BigTJ
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BigTJ »

jvh wrote:
11/24/21 11:56
FWIW. I was at a show selling a few rods. Had one that did not sell. I packed it up, put it in the truck and drove home. A few weeks later I was going to fish the rod and when I took it out of the tube one guide was missing. It was in the bottom of bag. I packed it, transported it and unpacked it. Never had that happen before. I know I did not do it during packing or in unpacking so it had the happen in the truck on the drive home. When i checked other guides were close to coming loose.
Point is maybe the guides coming loose was not caused by the seller. Just maybe.
Not taking sides just a different view of things to consider.
I've had a few issues selling on the net. Don't do it any more. It's person to person or nothing.
Vern
Vern you raise an excellent point. Kudos for the way you presented it, very thoughtful.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

If you decide to send it back, make sure you open a Return Claim with eBay. Don't deal with the customer directly on a return outside of eBay.

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

Within the past year I purchased a rod off of e-bay for what I felt was a very good price. Upon receipt, the rod had unidentified issues, which I brought to the sellers attention and asked for a minor adjustment. The seller didn't want to work with me, so the rod went back. The seller relisted the rod without identifying the issues which I brought to their attention and it sold for about 25% more than the price that I had initially paid. I had some regrets that I returned it, but this was a very common rod. I can certainly relate with the OP's dilemma, but this rod is very different. If the real value in the rod is in its collectibilty, it "should" sell for much less if returned and put back up for auction. I have a hard time believing that this rod would sell for significantly less in a few weeks if it gets returned.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”