Rod ID help

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

NemasketMike

Rod ID help

Post by NemasketMike »

Found this rod in an antique shop this weekend and couldn't leave it behind. I'm not sure if it is a bamboo rod that was painted or if it is made of another material. I'm new to all this, but I've never seen one like this before. It is hexagonal like all of my other bamboo rods, but different. The makers mark has worn off, but it looks like it was silver and red. Thank you in advance for any information you can share!

On to the pics:

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Rod ID help

Post by Webfly »

Pretty sure it's a Japanese convertible souvenir rod.

NemasketMike

Post by NemasketMike »

That would explain the two tips being very different weights then!
You've opened up a new internet rabbit hole for me to dive down.

Thank you!

edit: it actually looks remarkably like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/164287214469

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

NemasketMike, by convertible, Webfly means that the handle can be reversed (99.99% sure that there is another hole in the bottom of the butt) and the rod may be used as a fly rod or a spinning rod. These rods don't get much love here and are not really collectible.

steeliefool
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by steeliefool »

If pristine, complete with box and all accesories it would be collectable, IMO, possibily even fishable but unlikely. Rod alone is as stated above.

NemasketMike

Post by NemasketMike »

NewUtahCaneAngler wrote:
11/22/21 13:28
NemasketMike, by convertible, Webfly means that the handle can be reversed (99.99% sure that there is another hole in the bottom of the butt) and the rod may be used as a fly rod or a spinning rod. These rods don't get much love here and are not really collectible.
You are correct, there is another hole in the bottom. I appreciate the information on this one. It was under $20 and came with a reel that I'll probably fix up and use so I'm neither surprised or upset that its not collectable.

Again, thank you for the help!

NemasketMike

Post by NemasketMike »

steeliefool wrote:
11/22/21 13:39
If pristine, complete with box and all accesories it would be collectable, IMO, possibily even fishable but unlikely. Rod alone is as stated above.
Thank you for the information and help, very much appreciated!

It'll make an interesting conversation piece if nothing else.

Flykuni3
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flykuni3 »

Such post-WW ll rods always make me pause. My pops was a staff sgt in the MIS (Military Intelligence Service) during the war as a linguist. Got to the P.I. as the war wound down, then shipped up to Tokyo for Occupation duty. Saw MacArthur in his touring car, dad was stationed in the same bldg as his HQ. The country was beaten. He said the people were starving but the streets were swept clean. I think about somebody, possibly with his family's help, or helpers of his own, making these rods to try to sell to Occupation service personnel. How carefully they crafted the boxes, tied the (really bad) flies, did the best they could on ferrules and fittings given the paucity of good metal to work with.

I wonder how much they were paid for, say, six dozen such rods, or boxed sets. "Made in Occupied Japan."

Shrimpman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Shrimpman »

Thank you for sharing that, Flykuni!

NemasketMike

Post by NemasketMike »

thanks for sharing Flykuni!

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”