Kibby Gart/DeBell

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Kibby Gart/DeBell

Post by G-ManBart »

Hey all,

Looking for confirmation on this Kibby C. Gart, Perfected. 9', 3/2 equal length sections, weighs 5 3/4oz on my postal scale and the ferrules are size 12 and 18 on my cheap dial caliper. It comes with a bag, no tube and the only thing wrong I can find is that one guide has been rewrapped. The ferrules fit nicely and pop when separated. Overall the finish is sound and I don't see any major issues, so I'd call it good condition.

I've read a bunch on the topic and it appears these were made by Fred DeBell. I know he used a mishmash of parts, but know the experts here will be able to tell me for sure what he used on this rod. I'm still learning, but the glue lines suggest Phillipson, and I've read that the reel seat is as well....correct? What about the ferrules? I know a 9' rod isn't a desirable length and DeBell rods don't command much money, so what's a really fair price that might make someone a happy new owner?

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Kibby Gart/DeBell

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, Hints of Wright McGill?

Jay Edwards

jim royston
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jim royston »

Was Kirby Gart related to Gart Bros. Sporting Goods? If so, then their Denver origins would suggest Phillipson.

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

jim royston wrote:
11/26/21 13:02
Was Kirby Gart related to Gart Bros. Sporting Goods? If so, then their Denver origins would suggest Phillipson.
Yes, Kibby Gart was one of the Gart Brothers in Denver. For whatever reason his name was the one they put on fly rods and most seem to be marked "Perfected" but I think some were also marked "Autograph". Previous posts here suggest that they had rods made by Phillipson, W&M and Fred DeBell who used a mishmash of Phillipson and Wright & McGill parts.

I'm certainly a novice at identifying vintage rods, but it sure looks like Phillipson glue lines and I think the reel seat is a Phillipson style as well. I'm not sure if there's any way to tell a rod made by Phillipson from one made by DeBell using Phillipson parts...maybe the grip shape or wraps?

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Anybody?

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Nothing? Crickets?

NewUtahCaneAngler
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by NewUtahCaneAngler »

FWIIW, two Phillipson trade rods which I've handled had black handwritten scripting, not a stamp. This doesn't imply that Phillipson didn't use a stanp either earlier or later than the 2 examples noted above. They were also Peerless Impregnated grade equivalent rods

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

You might want to consult Michael Sinclair's "Colorado Classic Cane" for a good overview on both DeBell and Gart Bros.

And FWIW, my experience with DeBell rods is they are consistently inconsistent. While he evidently did make some rods from "scratch", most were indeed made from Phillipson and/or Wright & McGill parts.

You would be hard pressed to try to date most DeBell rods due to the fact that details, including fittings, were constantly changing depending what he had on hand.

Scott Z.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

G-ManBart
Master Guide

Post by G-ManBart »

Flyman615 wrote:
12/09/21 19:33
You might want to consult Michael Sinclair's "Colorado Classic Cane" for a good overview on both DeBell and Gart Bros.

And FWIW, my experience with DeBell rods is they are consistently inconsistent. While he evidently did make some rods from "scratch", most were indeed made from Phillipson and/or Wright & McGill parts.

You would be hard pressed to try to date most DeBell rods due to the fact that details, including fittings, were constantly changing depending what he had on hand.

Scott Z.
I don't have a copy of CCC yet, but it's on the list of books I want to add.

I was hoping someone would confirm or deny this is a Phillipson blank...I think so based upon the lines, but I'm nowhere near an expert on the topic. That would narrow it down to a rod made by DeBell on a Phillipson blank, or one that was made by Phillipson since it seems like both are possibilities, but I may be missing something.

I think it's a pretty solid rod either way. I took a chance when I bought it because they didn't have the length listed....was hoping it was 8 or 8.5' but it's 9 and I already have several nicer 9' rods. I didn't pay much for it, and I'm not going to ask much for it, but I'd like to be able to give as much information as possible when I sell it.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”