Appraisal request: H.L. Leonard Tournament fly rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

ChattaBrook

Appraisal request: H.L. Leonard Tournament fly rod

Post by ChattaBrook »

Greetings,

My father bough this rod for me a bout 30 years ago at a small fly shop in Burlington, VT called Shirmers Fly Shop. I was wanting some more knowledge about the rarity and value of this the way it sits. I may be looking to part with it to someone who can appreciate it more than me. Any thoughts and opinions are welcome and thank you for taking the time to help.

Best regards.

Woodlakejag
Master Guide

Re: Appraisal request: H.L. Leonard Tournament fly rod

Post by Woodlakejag »

That’s a Leonard Hewitt model (for Ed Hewitt, 1866-1957). They were cataloged around 1930 and you can find some information about them searching older posts on this forum. It looks to be original and in good condition.
I don’t know much about Leonard values, but I see one recently sold for $1800 from a dealer, another listed at $2000. So I would ballpark it from 1500-2000.
Hope that helps
Facebook - Bamboo Fly Rod Identification and Value
Instagram - vintagebambooflyrods

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”