Granger Registered

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

skimt127

Granger Registered

Post by skimt127 »

Hi guys! I apologize in advance if this post is in the wrong place. I recently inherited a bunch of my grandfather's vintage Granger fly rods, with one being a Granger Registered RX8642. However, upon opening the tube, only the butt section was included. I was gutted. It was serial # 193937. Would it be possible to get the remaining sections to possibly make this a complete rod? And/or would there be a market for just the butt section of this rod if not? Thanks for the help on this.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Granger Registered

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

What a find! Even though you only have the butt - at least you have the whole complete butt piece.
If only rods could talk - cause we would all love to learn where the other pieces ended up and how,
especially on a rod of this caliber.

Excellent pictures... it would be fascinating to see more photos of this RX butt in different light... wow!
What a first post...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

MGrallert
Guide

Post by MGrallert »

I'm curious about the cord wrapped around the butt.

Tommasini
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Tommasini »

It is entirely possible to have one of today's makers complete the rod by either making new sections or using original Granger sections. The original Butt, sack and tube have considerable value as is.

hatch
Master Guide

Post by hatch »

You state that you inherited a bunch of rods. Make sure these tips aren't with another rod in the bunch?

skimt127

Post by skimt127 »

All rods have been checked. No pieces to the Granger Registered.

I am reaching out to Gary Lacey at Lacey Rod Co. to see about having the extra pieces made for the Registered.

I have also have a GV8040, GS8040, and a GF8642 as well. The Victory seems to have Special tips with it. The Special and Favorite rods, are complete, but need attention.

There were 6 extra pieces of Victory pieces in with the Registered when I opened it. However, those do not match the Victory I have. They have thin wraps on either side of the main wrap.

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

What a neat group of rods to happen into... this guy liked the Grangers!
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Step up to the plate with any lumber you want.

halh68
Guide

Post by halh68 »

Instant Granger collection

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Amazing.
Almost brings a tear, thinking about the orphaned mid and tips!

Webfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Webfly »

skimt127 wrote:
12/02/21 11:33

I am reaching out to Gary Lacey at Lacey Rod Co. to see about having the extra pieces made for the Registered.

I have also have a GV8040, GS8040, and a GF8642 as well. The Victory seems to have Special tips with it. The Special and Favorite rods, are complete, but need attention.

There were 6 extra pieces of Victory pieces in with the Registered when I opened it. However, those do not match the Victory I have. They have thin wraps on either side of the main wrap.
Sounds like you have an idea of what you are doing, but somebody needs to put the puzzle pieces together. 8040's and 8642's are very desirable tapers. Nice batch of rods, hopefully they can be sorted out.

tapermaker
Master Guide

Post by tapermaker »

I would go to his house and check the rafters . i can think of no other reason for there not being together than letting them air out after fishing before stashing them away again .

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

+1 with tapermaker. Check corners, barrells and between any exposed wall studs as well. Have been to many garage sales where fishing rods are stashed like this.

Flyman615
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Flyman615 »

If and when you intend to have the presently missing sections re-made for your Registered, I would remind that the Granger Registered and Premier grades used the very BEST, select cane available to the company.

Those of us who have been fans of Granger for decades will tell you that Registered cane is very recognizable as are, of course, the plated ferrules. Therefore, so re-wrapping, for example, sections from a Victory or Special just won't cut it, IMHO.

Scott Z.
Last edited by Flyman615 on 12/09/21 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Flyman615

"An undisturbed river is as perfect as we will ever know, every refractive slide of cold water a glimpse of eternity" - Thomas McGuane

uppercreek
Guide

Post by uppercreek »

If it were mine I'd try to find an 8642 Registered parts rod if one even exists and have it restored to keep the rod as original as possible, or sell the butt and tube to someone who needs it. As Scott says, it's not just the cane but the Registered ferrules that are different. Maybe Mike Clark could locate a parts rod or hook you up with someone who needs your parts. It might not be worth the expense to have new parts made, anyway, plus you have other rods in the lot that you could fish with. As a collector, I would consider a rod with mostly new parts as mostly not original and I wouldn't want to pay a premium.

Kevin

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi Guys, It may be best to barter the butt section to Mike Clark, Scott Whitman or Gary Lacey to do work on the other pieces, but take your time. What shouldn't happen is a few Victory sections wrapped up like a Registered with some re-chromed ferrules to complete the 'lipstick on a pig.' Let this problem smolder a while, as time may doubtfully turn up something.

Jay Edwards

Seabowisha Salmo T
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Seabowisha Salmo T »

skimt127 wrote:
12/02/21 11:33

There were 6 extra pieces of Victory pieces in with the Registered when I opened it. Howeveht r, those do not match the Victory I have. They have thin wraps on either side of the main wrap.
hello, as jay says, my advice is --- take your time; this is probably the only registered you will ever own. put it on the wall and enjoy it's uniqueness. fix and fish the other grangers. please do not be persuaded to let the rod butt go until you are completely satisfied that any decision is your very own. i should not be giving advice; i do know better but i do no better ;), but i have bought that t-shirt and starred in that movie.
regards, jim w

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”