HI Ike Walton

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

MikeBaker

HI Ike Walton

Post by MikeBaker »

Just received a 8’6” rod and can’t seem to nail down a year. Sinclair’s book shows a listing for the 1930’s. Npb reeltite Seat sand 6” cigar grip. The logo is also confusing, have not seen this one. As you can see in photos it is the “Best by test” logo superimposed over a fish. Rod has been rewrapped. Can anyone help me figure out a time period for this and would the correct wrap colors be as called out in the Sinclair book? Thanks Mike

MikeBaker

Re: HI Ike Walton

Post by MikeBaker »

MikeBaker wrote:
12/04/21 21:06
Just received a 8’6” rod and can’t seem to nail down a year. Sinclair’s book shows a listing for the 1930’s. Npb reeltite Seat sand 6” cigar grip. The logo is also confusing, have not seen this one. As you can see in photos it is the “Best by test” logo superimposed over a fish. Rod has been rewrapped. Can anyone help me figure out a time period for this and would the correct wrap colors be as called out in the Sinclair book? Thanks Mike ps, look at last photo, ferrules don’t look right either

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

From the mid to late 1920's.

MikeBaker

Post by MikeBaker »

The problem I have is it’s been rewrapped but it does have intermediates which I think are correct which would indicate an early rod. The grip and reelseat look later, don’t recognize the ferrules and have not seen the decal before. I’m confused to say the least. Perhaps it has been rebuilt with different components.

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Yes, I think you're correct. It's been rebuilt with an array of components.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”