Shakespeare Spring Brook A-1362B-9' 3/2 Excellent Plus

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

flyfishing4goldentrout
Sport

Post by flyfishing4goldentrout »

Hello, think I finally found the place to find out some information and value on a bunch of rods I received nearly 25 years ago with the passing of my Father. He was an avid fly fisherman (Bass, Salmon and Steelhead) as well as duck hunter from the Depression era onward.
The first rod is the above Shakespeare, all sections are equal length, tube is dirty and worn, sock is worn but readable etc.
Rod, eyes, windings etc are near perfect, only the cork shows some soiling. My Father was always taking excellent care of his flyrods and shotguns.
Anyway Im posting quite a few photos so you can get an accurate idea of condition.
Ive just taken up flyfishing with bamboo rods sense I retired myself (started with Glass and then composites) but have been playing with a few of the bamboo rods the last couple of years on the lake for Bass. This seems to be a bass rod of perhaps 7 or 8wt, am I correct?
Thanks

Thanks in advance for any info and an estimate of value.

South Creek
Guide

Post by South Creek »

Based on the internal screw, up-locking reelseat, the rod was made for Shakspheare by South Bend about 1939 or later. My guess on value would be in the $60 to $120 range. Maybe more to a Shakesphere collector....Jerry

flyfishing4goldentrout
Sport

Thanks Jerry,
I thought the plastic screw reel seat looked like a South Bend, Just trying to get some idea of the value of some of the rods my Father left me 25 years ago. I fish almost daily with glass and composit rods, and have just started taking out a couple of bamboo rods and fishing them with the plastic lines and reels Im used too. We have a great fishery on the lake below my house, and its a safe place to use these rods without worrying about slidding down river banks and off bolders along the river above and below the lake. Plus there is little room in many places along the river for these long rods anyway.
Richard

freestoner
Master Guide

Post by freestoner »

Between the fact of it being a relatively common model,the 9 ft. length and the relatively heavy action, it's probably worth around $125 tops, presently. But it looks to be in excellent condition, and that counts.

I think that Shakespeare bamboo rods are presently under-valued, which means that if you put it up on eBay, it's unlikely to get bid on unless it's priced low and without a reserve- but if you put it up with a low minimum, someone is liable to swipe it from you for $40, or something. Just in the last year, I've seen the demand and prices rise on Montague, South Bend, and Horrocks-Ibbotson rods- even on some of the lower-end models. But Shakespeares still seem to go begging, or to go way cheap.

Considering the condition, if I were you, I'd want at least $75-100 from that Spring Brook. I'd hang on to it for a while, personally. They aren't making any more of them, and it looks to be in superb shape. The guides might want a varnish touch-up, but otherwise it looks good.

mtnman
Guide

Post by mtnman »

Evening Richard,
I have the identical rod which belonged to my grandfather. It is a great Bass rod and throws a WF7 Bass taper line with a lot of authority!
Russ Gabel
Frazier Mountain Fly Fishing Company
http://www.fraziermountainflyfishing.com/

flyfishing4goldentrout
Sport

Thanks guys, sense I have had these rods now for around 25 years, keeping them for a few more is not gonna create a problem.
Now whats your opinion on the best place to sell bamboo rods like these once I decide Im ready to sell some?
Richard

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”