Is this South Bend or Heddon?

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

BlueWingOlive

Post by BlueWingOlive »

Hi all,

I could use assistance of the bamboo intelligentsia...I don't have enough experience to identify the maker of this rod.
I acquired this Shakespeare 1314, 9' 3/2 rod. Pre-war decal, black wraps with gold tipping
(in the third photo, it appears to have a single white thread, that's actually dried wax in a gap in the wraps I need to remove).
It had the original varnish, I re-coated it.
Inscription reads #1314-T-9'.

The grip and wraps looked more South Bend to me. The ferrules are blackened, and pinned, which looked like Heddon to me.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jon

rollcast.clarks
Guide

Post by rollcast.clarks »

I'd guess Heddon.

bdcanefly
Master Guide

Post by bdcanefly »

Looks like a South Bend to me.
I have a South Bend with the blackend ferrules.
Plus the grip and wraps look like South Bend.

BDC

BlueWingOlive

Post by BlueWingOlive »

I should have included a photo of the male ferrules, too...they are not drawn. I thought South Bend ferrules were drawn, and not pinned?

BruceHandley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BruceHandley »

Wouldn't a rod made by Heddon carry a # in the 1500's.
Bruce

Hipgnosis
Master Guide

Post by Hipgnosis »

Looks very South Bend to me. I have never seen any rings just below the welt on any Heddon ferrule. I haven't seen such a flared welt on Heddon rolled welt ferrules; I've seen both on SB ferrules. The reelseat is definitely SB.
Check the nodes on the butt and see if one node is just slightly off-set but adjacent to another. A tell-tale sign of SB cane.
Also, Bruce H. is correct... Heddon made rods were 1500 series on Shakespeare's.
Mike

john channer
Master Guide

Post by john channer »

The reelseat looks just like the one on my Gene Edwards Autographed, 7'6" 2pc. , the yellowed white writing looks similar,too. Is this a Tony Acceta model? many of them were Edwards made.
john

BlueWingOlive

Post by BlueWingOlive »

The thing that got me on the Heddon track in the first place was Sinclair's book...but it doesn't mention Edwards as a supplier. This model is #1314-T the Superior in trout weight.

John...did Edwards just make the Acceta model or did they make other models for Shakespeare?

Bruce and Hipgnosis, I'm confused...Sinclair's book doesn't list 1500 series, just 1300 series. I take it there are Shakespeare models not covered in his book?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Jon

BruceHandley
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BruceHandley »

Jon, you aren't confused, I am. The ref. to #1500 should have been applied to Folsom rods by Heddon, sorry.
Bruce

BobB
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobB »

The reel seat and yellow/white ink would point toward Edwards, in my opinion.

Middle Branch
Master Guide

Post by Middle Branch »

Heddon built the blank, sent it over to South Bend for some ferrules and a hookkeeper, who then sent it to Edwards for a reelseat, ole' Gene then signed it and sent it back to Heddon for them to wrap in their hot selling Black Beauty colors, who then sent it back to South Bend for them to varnish it. South Bend sent it over to Shakespeare and the rest is history.!-- :rollin -->

Sorry I can't help you out. That hookkeeper does look South Bendy to me though. And the cane looks very Heddon. I don't know about the ferrules.
It's a nice looking rod actually, how does it cast?

BlueWingOlive

Post by BlueWingOlive »

Middle Branch,

I was very happy when I first cast it...nice casting rod. Gently throws a 5 weight. It has an old Scientific Anglers line on it now but I'm expecting a silk line to show up in the next few days to put on on my 1495. Hopefully by the weekend.

I'll take your SB/Edwards/Shakespeare/Heddon provenance into, um, account as I, ahhh, document the rod's history...

Tight lines,
Jon

Ironblue

Post by Ironblue »

Hi,
I think it can help you out with a definitive identification of your rod. I have a Shakespeare Tony Acceta model #1307. The hardware except for the real seat is nearly identical to yours. The only real difference is that mine is bright while yours has been blackened. The grip on mine is identical to yours. Mine has the same Shakespeare decal. My rod is wrapped with Chinese red thread tipped with gold. The reel seat on my rod is a down locking reel seat with a walnut insert, which is identical to reel seats on a couple of my Gene Edwards rods. The up locking reel seat on yours, except for the black plastic insert, is the same as on my Gene Edward's autograph rod. The dark cane shafts are very similar. The writing on the shafts is typical Edwards. I would say that both rods were made by Gene Edwards perhaps soon after he bought out the machinery from the Bristol company.
-- Doug

vinsense
Guide

Post by vinsense »

In 1984 at auction, I bought a Shakespeare 7 1/2' 3pc.2 tip Model 1234 ~ Unmistakenly by Heddon. It did not look at all like the image shown here. (paid $29.43 w/tax) vb.

BobB
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by BobB »

It is not a Heddon! Still relatively sure it was built by the Edwards clan. The reel seat, winding check, and inking are all Edwards trademarks.

Bob

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”