South Bend 469

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

fishinbub
Guide

South Bend 469

Post by fishinbub »

I have a 7' South Bend 469 I picked up at a flea market for a bargain at $5. It's a fly/spin rod, I would call it a 7/8wt, but for shorter casts you really need 8wt line. I've fished it some, but I would really like a boo rod with more flex. I'm going to sell it and put that money into buying and rebuilding a rod more suited for trout. It has apparently been refinished before, because one of the guides is different from the others, but the thread is all the same. The cork is in good shape but does show a little wear, and the reel seat is in very good fishable condition. The one problem I see is a hair line crack in the male ferrule where it is connected to the blank. It doesn't creak, and isn't loose or anything. Would I be better off selling it as it is, refinishing it first, or just replacing the ferrules?

Thanks,
Bub

oldschoolcane
Bamboo Fanatic

South Bend 469

Post by oldschoolcane »

Sell it - as is.

Tim
Cedar Run Rods, rod-building & restoration.

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

South Bend 469

Post by bulldog1935 »

there aren't too many people who want to fish 7' 7-wts, but I've had one of these before and enjoyed fishing it in tight creeks, high water years with a T-200 sinking line.

I also know people who fish them in the salt.

Perfectly refinished, though, you wouldn't get more than $100 for it, so I have to agree to sell it to the guy who wants to rebuild it and fish it himself.
Image Shotguns and flyreels are jewelry for men

fishinbub
Guide

South Bend 469

Post by fishinbub »

Rod is for sale in the classifieds.

fishinbub
Guide

South Bend 469

Post by fishinbub »

You guys were spot on. I put the rod on Ebay and got $66.65 for it. Another 469 that was 7' 6", completely refinished and in perfect condition, sold a few hours before mine for under $55.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”