Barney & Berry Rod Question

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

TractRat

Post by TractRat »

Hello.  I have just joined the forum and this is my first post.

I've read through the Q&As regarding Barney & Berry rods already posted here but I have another question regarding the Barney & Berry Inc. rod in my possession.

The rod I have is in good to very good shape (sorry I haven't included photos but I'm charging the camera battery at the moment and will post photos later).  It is a 9' three piece with 2 tips.  The reel seat is clearly stamped "Barney & Berry Inc. Made in U.S.A", but there is no identifying number stamped on the reel seat.  The butt section, though, does have the following, in cursive writing, printed on it "Mohegan."

Does anyone have any information on regarding what, exactly, this "Mohegan" may mean?  Is it a rod type?  Is "Mohegan" a re-seller of Barney & Berry rods, or what?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, the TractRat

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

Welcome to the forum. "Mohegan" is likely just a model name. Photos are essential, though, to determine the maker.   Mark

TractRat

Post by TractRat »

Thanks, Mark.  I'll get some photos up tomorrow.

TractRat

Post by TractRat »

Okay. Here are 4 photos of the Barney and Berry Rod I am curious about. The rod has its original tube and sock, and all wraps are tight. The sock actually has a portion of a paper label still attached which clearly shows that it's a Barney & Berry rod. If you need additional photos to assist in assessing the rod, just let me know, but bear in mind I'm not a very good photographer. Thanks for all your help and guidance.

TractRat

ImageImage

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”