manitou montague

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

speedline

manitou montague

Post by speedline »

Hi ,, I am new to this board, so I hope I am posting this in the correct forum! I have found, or should I say "refound" an old montague light fly rod that once was my fathers. I have been into fly fishing now for about 15 years and after buying 6 or 7 modern fly rods 10 different reels and what not, have an interest in finding out some information about this old bamboo rod in the back of the closet. Maybe an interest in this will also keep me from buying that new Sage One later this year ,,.. hopefully :D. So , like I said it was my fathers a long time ago and I dont know anything about it, other than it being a manitou , and maybe the most produce rod of the time(?).

I was looking to find out some more about it, as I have looked through several threads here but not sure if the info I have found pertains to my rod. This one looks in rather good shape , though I dont know how old it is. It is a three piece rod and with two top sections. both top sections look exactly the same to me, but are they the same action rate. Why did they supply two tips? Unfortunately one of them has been broken and repaired and if they are different, I am wondering how hard is it to find single sections for these rods?

From what I remember my father told me when I was a kid in the 70s that he traded away the reel (it was probably quite nice) for a, then modern, 70s fiberglass rod and reel setup :-[ . Now I would like to find a reel that could have been sold along with this rod but looking up just "vintage reels" doesnt seem all that simple. I am interested some suggestions about reel types that would have matched this rod? And Flyline ? wow, not even sure about that either.

Finnaly, the most important question, can I take this out to the river and fish it? I know it hasnt been fished for atleast 40 years maybe more and I think it would be a shame for it to spend another 40 years in the closet or on the wall when it was meant to be fished but without it breaking first..

thanks for any help on these questions ,, and again sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum !
//Oskar

here is a picture ...

http://www.pbase.com/speedline/image/149162860

TheMontyMan
Global Moderator

Re: manitou montague

Post by TheMontyMan »

Oskar,

Nice old Manitou you have there! It is really rare to find one of these in such fine condition. This rod was Montague's top of the line rod when it was built. Compared to some of Montague's lower end models, not many of these were built, and extra care and attention was given to these rods during the building process. The cane was heat treated to stiffen the rod, and custom fitted nickel silver hardware was used.

Your father's Manitou was built in the late 1920's, based on the reel seat hardware. This reel seat style was originally designed by John Landman, and was the first reel seat style used on the Manitou.

The best reel to match this rod is an early Montague style like the one on my Manitou pictured below -

I use Cortland Sylk lines, which are a nice, supple silk imitation lines that don't need the intensive care of real silk. Sylk lines are smaller in diameter, so they glide smoothly through the smaller snake guides found on your Manitou.

You've already heard this rod calling to you from the back of the closet, now take it out and fish it with gusto! It was built to be fished and enjoyed. If you break it, or find that it needs repairs, there are many folks that subscribe to this Forum that are highly skilled at restoration and repairs of vintage rods. I have a Manitou similar to this one, and fished it several times last season.

. . . Rex
The Monty Man

speedline

Post by speedline »

Wow , thanks for all the information , you guys are great, now I know quite a bit more than before, I took some closer pictures of the ferrules and label...

http://www.pbase.com/speedline/image/149175328
http://www.pbase.com/speedline/image/149175335
http://www.pbase.com/speedline/image/149175337
http://www.pbase.com/speedline/image/149175336

it is an 8´6" "light fly trout" , each section is about 34.5 inches.
the cork handle seems a bit dried out..
and the label is starting to flake off.

Since it came with an extra tip-section , was this a spare ? Did all Motague models come with a second tip section?

thanks again ,, now I wil try to source a nice reel :D
Oskar

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

Here is a later Manitou Medium Trout 8.5 foot 3/2, my best guess is either 41 or 46-47, based on the presence of white script in lieu of a decal, matching reel for this rod/period is the trade labelled Meiselbach Symplor, marked Montague Manitou with the fish, on the aluminum plate, enjoy......

ImageImageImage

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”