Andrews Makers Uppingham

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Tartarinm

Andrews Makers Uppingham

Post by Tartarinm »

I have posted this in the collectors forum, but this may be more appropriate. I have just become the owner of a split can rod. It has what appears to be a leather cover on the cork of the handle and brass fittings that look like those on photos I have seen of 19th century rods. On the base brass ring there is engraved/stamped on one side 'Andrews makers Uppingham' and on the other 'The pritt rod' and ten and a half feet in numbers. My wife uses an Orvis and has little interest. All that I have gleaned from the Internet is that an Andrews rod was auctioned in Dorchester in 1995. I came across classicflyrod forum in my search and thought it might include someone who could answer the question,

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Andrews Makers Uppingham

Post by jeffkn1 »

We're a bit short of background on many of the UK rods so we're learning as we go. As you've already seen, not many have surfaced in the secondary market and that makes value appraisals difficult. I did find through Google that Thomas Leo Andrews was producing rods as early as 1883, when the following item will be found in the catalog on the exhibitors at the International Fisheries Exposition (where American makers Nichols and Leonard also had displays):

447. ANDREWS, THOMAS LEO, High Street, Uppingham. (1) One
case of Salmon Rods. A collection of glued-up rods, of varying strength and descriptions of
cane. (2) A collection of Glued-up Trout Rods of varying strength and descriptions of cane.

I can't find it at the moment, but when I looked the other day I found a catalog page describing the rod as being spiral-wrapped with wire and said to be light in the hand. The catalog seemed to be something from the 1900 era, give or take a few years.
Is yours wrapped with wire? Care to provide photos? If posting them is a technical issue you can send them to me and I'll post them here for you.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

OK, found my search results in my computer history. I was correct on the 1900 date since the catalog page shown below is from Foster's of Ashbourne 1900, a great early catalog that can be downloaded free from Google. Numerous testimonials from users were also shown.
Foster's says "made...by us" but that may actually have been made by Andrews. Don't know. Have to track down the citation for the spiral wire wrap.

Tartarinm

Post by Tartarinm »

I am hugely indebted for this information so far. I will examine the rod more closely to see if I can see spiral wires - should it be obvious? I will also try with photos.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

You can download that Foster's catalog using this link: http://books.google.com/books/about/Cat ... 09AAAAYAAJ
A quote by Pritt in the catalog suggests that while Foster's was offering spiral wrapped wire at that time, that steel cores may have been used in earlier years. The confusing part is that it's not clear to me yet whether he was referring to the rod named after him, or just rods in general.
And I still haven't confirmed who was making the Pritt model for Foster's so I've probably raised as many questions as I've answered. But, it's a start. If nothing else, rods by that name have a fine historical connection even if they may not be best suited for contemporary angling techniques.

Tartarinm

Post by Tartarinm »

Many thanks for your interest jeffkn. I have looked more closely at the rod, and although heavily varnished it appears to have a ringing under the varnish which might accord with spiral binding. Equally it might represent regular brush strokes - but they would be very regular and running round the rod.

I have been in touch with the Uppingham Local History Society and they have tracked Andrews down a bit further. In the 1901 census Thomas Andrews (58) lived with his wife Charlotte (54) at 161 High Street Uppingham, and worked from home as a fishing rod manufacturer and tackle maker. The house was next door to a pub - the Wagon and Horses - which has recently closed.

Uppingham is home to a public school (private school), and the young gentlemen from there might have provided a ready market.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”