JC Higgins 3034 Bamboo Rod

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Hillbilly

JC Higgins 3034 Bamboo Rod

Post by Hillbilly »

Probably been hashed over before, but I did search and didn't find all the info I was hoping for. I'm sure you guys know! I received this JC Higgins 3034 Bamboo Rod from a gentleman.

Rod particulars:
3 pieces
Only one Tip
Overall length 101"
Rough Condition

What I would like to know:
Approx age
Approx value "As Is"
Correct number of Guides
Appropriate line weight
Approx cost of "Professional" Restoration

The internet is a wonderful thing, but can't replicate the knowledge of experienced people.

Thanks for any Help

Thanks Again!

ewp313
Bamboo Fanatic
Location: Keep looking to the stars! / Siempre mira a las estrellas!

Re: JC Higgins 3034 Bamboo Rod

Post by ewp313 »

Hillbilly, Welcome to the forum!
Looks like a Montague based on the "Mt. Tom" model, my guess is that it was introduced sometime in the mid 30's. The reel seat is most likely brass, chrome or nickel plated. The reel seat is a version of a old Chubb design, used by Montague way into the 40's, along with the improved ferrules. All probably chrome or nickel plated brass.
The Mt. Tom was ranked low between the "Clear Lake" & "Highland" and just in front of the 11580 & 500 1/2 in the Montague line up in the 1939 catalog.
The Mt.Tom was offered for $3.50 including an extra tip and a cloth partitioned bag in 1939.
Although this is a trade rod made for J.C Higgins, most of these trade rods were based on a production model. A retailer could order anything they wish for extra money. Montague made many different rod models for Wards and Sears, some expensive and some not, through out the late 19th and early 20th Centuries.
Should clean up nicely and be able to fish in no time.
Ed

wrong66
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by wrong66 »

These were made for Sears, Roebuck & Co., who owned the "J.C. Higgins" brand of sporting goods. Because of the short tip, value is maybe $20-30, on a good day. In my opinion, it would cost much more to restore than what it's worth.

Hillbilly

Post by Hillbilly »

Thanks very much, I think I'll fish it as is a couple times and see if I think it could be a project or not!
Thanks again

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”