I need Help Identifying this bamboo rod - no markings

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Jamescpaz

I need Help Identifying this bamboo rod - no markings

Post by Jamescpaz »

Hello! I need some help identifying this bamboo fly rod. There are no identifiable markings and I have tried several places and can't seem to find anyone with answers.

The road is in (F) fair to possibly (P) poor condition and I'm trying to determine if this is worth having it professionally restored or not.

1. The rod is bamboo w/ no visible markings (I'm being extremely careful with this rod so there might be something written somewhere not readily seen).
2. it's in a wooden holder (as you can see in the photos)
3. It has 3 sections w/ a second tip "blank" (I think that's the right term) so 4 sections total.
The sections measure 43" approx. so it's about 10 foot 9 inches long when assembled (which I haven't done).
4. It has eyelets I've never seen (I've seen something similar but not exactly like these).

The condition problems:
1. As you can see in the photos, a few of the eyelets have come off.
2. The second tip is broken off at about the middle (the broken off top half piece is missing)
3. the first tip is complete except the tip eyelet wire is missing (the metal is still there).
4. It's missing it's canvas cover (I'm assuming it had one).

Again, any information on identifying this rod, maybe a value before and after restoration would be of great help and greatly appreciated!!!

Jamescpaz

I Think I Found It - But need an expert to confirm this.

Post by Jamescpaz »

I was looking through older threads on this forum and found a reference to something similar. I checked it out and it looks to me exactly what I have. It's out of an 1891 Thos H. Chubb catalog - rod #25 - Bass Fly rod, 10-1/2 feet long, reel seat below hand with the tie-guides (odd type eyelets).

I would really appreciate a confirmation or other if this isn't it, value pre and post restoration and the contact of a restoration expert to restore this rod!

Thank you!!!

ewp313
Bamboo Fanatic
Location: Keep looking to the stars! / Siempre mira a las estrellas!

Re: I need Help Identifying this bamboo rod - no markings

Post by ewp313 »

James, Welcome to the forum!
It is very hard to say at this point what your rods components are without seeing them. I would like to see pics of the important areas such as the winding check area, ferrules, and a whole shot of the entire rod laid out with all the sections next to each other.
Chubb sometimes labeled or stamped their better quality rods, or at least the featured one's they advertise in their cats. The components look Chubb to me (reel seat) and the one ferrule (male) I can see. Chubb often wrapped their grips so that was a good guess as to the maker and possibly a correct one.
Those trumpet guides are probably solid NiAg and was used or for sell as parts well into the 1930's. Is this a six strip or 8 strip rod? Many times Chubb offered two or more versions of the same rod, one all NiAg hdwr the other NiAg plated hdwr, with a difference in prices as too the fittings ordered, but identical taper and lengths offered.'
The other thing Chubb did was to sell blanks and hdwr. to hobbyist and small makers through the mail service, it was a large mail order, wholesale, and component supplier.
If you could post pics of the other parts of the rod I may help .
Ed

Dustnstuff
Guide

Post by Dustnstuff »

We need better pictures. The rod looks like Lancewood not Bamboo. Maybe a Union League as shown in the catalog.
Dustnstuff

tkerr7735
Master Guide

Post by tkerr7735 »

Nice looking for a $0.60 rod. Of course, the cost did include boxing, postage and insurance. I misread my own catalog. The $0.60 is just the processing cost above and beyond the $10-$12 cost of the rod.

Like you recognized, those are tie guides, not trumpet guides. Your catalog page shows the tie guides were offered in brass, nickel (actually nickel plated brass) and German silver. Yours are either brass or brass showing where the nickel plating wore off.

I'm curious about your form case. It's very sculptured and has those brass studs. What are its end caps made of? Any chance it's leather? One maker in particular stamped his name on the side of his form cases with a rubber stamp and black ink. The ink would be long gone by now. But - you can sometimes make out the ghosting of the name where the ink kept the wood from darkening as much. It may not be there, but if it is, you'll have to look pretty hard.

It also looks like there is a number 88 or 89 (?) stamped or burned into the form case just above the top of the reel seat. Am I seeing things? - Tom
Last edited by tkerr7735 on 08/11/14 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

ewp313
Bamboo Fanatic
Location: Keep looking to the stars! / Siempre mira a las estrellas!

Post by ewp313 »

Here's a few pgs for your reading pleasure, out of a 1895 Chubb cat., showing the carrier, looks like yours may have double pins for leather straps possibly, and the different style and type guides, my mistake for calling them trumpet guides at 3 am., offered along with some components and a little description on Lancewood rods offered by them. Thank you for pointing that out Peter.
I could not find any Chubb rods at least in this cat. for less than $2.50 though.
Enjoy, Ed
ImageImageImageImage

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Jamescpaz
You might wish to look at rod C on the bottom of page 19 of that 1891 catalog you refer to.
“C. – Bass Fly or Light Bait Rod, All Lance-wood.
Three-joint, 10 ½ to 12 feet in length. Will be made up 10 ½ feet, unless ordered otherwise. Weight, 10 to 11 oz; 2 tips; silk-wound and lapped; with best tie guides; butt wound with cane; nickel-plated trimmings, with welt ferrules; reel-seat below hand; grooved wood form in cloth case.”

Jamescpaz

Post by Jamescpaz »

Thanks Everyone! Here are additional pictures.

I really appreciate all the input and helping me figure this out!

James

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”