Ogdan Smith Question

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Ogdan Smith Question

Post by hopkintoncane »

This maker just does not come up often on this forum, or on the internet for that matter. I am trying to find information regarding a 8.5 foot Royal Sovereign 3/2 5-3/4 oz rod. Maybe somebody on the other side of the pond would know. The india inked bag tag indicates that the rod has a serial number of 1540. Any idea of a build date? If it helps with the dating, the rod also has a tan-anodized aluminum down locking seat that has Ogdon Smith, London England and the serial number stamped into the cap, and its complete with the heaviest bag and tube I think I have ever seen, pretty nice quality stuff, any help would be appreciated. Todd

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Ogdan Smith Question

Post by bulldog1935 »

Ogden Smiths is a London tackle purveyor in business from around 1915.
I have a c. '30s full catalog, and a c. 50s abridged catalog I can check for your rod.

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

Todd,
Ogdan Smith since 1890. Built mostly salmon rods. Their Royal Sovereign rods list them @ 9', 3pc. - 8'10", 3pc, - 8', 3pc and 7'6", 2pc. I don't see one listed @ 8' 6"
Richie

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

Thanks Richie, I double checked, the tag definitely says 8 foot 6 inches, and I just put it together (ferrules not fully seated as they are dirty and tight) and it measures just 8 foot 7 inches, flexing the rod it feels like an absolutely gorgeous 6 to me, a very nice rod, needs a little varnish rubbing out particularly on the butt section, but its construction is dead nuts straight, a very nice larger water stick, once I find out more its going to the classifieds, Todd

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

I didn't see much for Sovereigns in that length but there are a couple Ogden Smiths on ebay (both current and completed), and these two completed from Liveauctioneers.

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/1359297
https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/17 ... ion-outfit

roycestearns
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by roycestearns »

Ogden Smith made quite a bit of trout gear. The "Compleat Outfit" was actually aimed at the American Market per the 30's catalog listing

The Warrior rod was the top of the line and they had special Warriors for each foreign market from 10'6" New Zealand to 8' Africa. The US Warrior was 8ft 6" very stiff.

They claimed to have been making tackle since 1763

I don't see a Sovereigns rod in the 1930's catalog.

It was my understanding that Ogden Smith suffered significant damage during WWII bombings?

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

Todd sent me an email that the bag tag states LTD. Ogden Smith went to Ogden Smiths LTD I believe in 1964. A catalog after 1964 should have more info. Photos are always nice.
flyrodman

bulldog1935
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bulldog1935 »

my 1953 catalog is Ogden Smiths Limited, dated, shows Dingley-made, Mitchell and Young-made reels, and only lists glass rods.
I'll be back...My '37 catalog is also Ogden Smiths Limited...(take me awhile, the back is broken)

ok, '37...there are no Sovereign rods.
There 8'6" models of Special US Warrior and Capitol, and both stated specifically to be American-style built cane rods.

Lockfast
Master Guide

Post by Lockfast »

Here is a thread with some additional info on Ogden Smith's in general and Warrior double builts in particular.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=68723&p=569710&hil ... or#p569710

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

Lockfast, thanks for the link, I did see that string of posts but did not read through them carefully until this morning, you mentioned in one of your posts that the rods were not inked early on, that's what's going on with this rod as well, the only markings are the stamped info on the reel seat, nothing inked on the cane, maybe that helps in dating the rod.

The string also mentioned that 8.5 foot Warriors for US consumption were very fast rods, that's not the case with this rod, its a moderate-flexing 6 wt, but not super fast, very comfortable casting taper.

brucetc

Post by brucetc »

Hi Hopkintoncane,

I have a 9.6" Ogden Smith Royal Sovereign. One tip down (3 piece). The ferrules all have a scrolled number 5 on them. I have seen Ogden Royal Sovereigns with ferrules that have a number 3 debossed into the metal. The bamboo has very good backbone. It needs work but I use it for steelhead. Even today I caught a nice 12lb rainbow on the Credit River and the rod was at the edge of it's performance but did very well.

Bruce

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”