8 ft “OLD JOE"

This is the board to ask about the identity, or for an appraisal, of a rod. Please use the outline as explained on the board. If there is a makers name, list that in the subject line. Make sure you include the length, number of sections, any identifying markings and the general condition. Adding photographs is always helpful!

Moderator: TheMontyMan

Gflyfish

8 ft “OLD JOE"

Post by Gflyfish »

I have an old two piece 8ft bamboo rod. Decal on butt section says “OLD JOE” and what I think is Crichton Sta. Mobile Ala. Part of that is obscured. Suspect it might be a Montague rod. Sections are 48 1/2 inch, cork is good, has a hook keeper. Butt has one stripping guide, one snake. Metal reel seat. Upper section has 5 snake guides and tip top. Wraps are not great. Cloth bag is longer than rod, red cardboard tube with screw cap is also longer (55 1/2”). Ferrule fits well. Curious about age (suspect pre 1950s), origin. I would like to sell the rod. I inheirited it, never fished it.
Will try to attach pictures. Thanks.

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

Image[/URL]

uppercreek
Guide

Re: 8 ft “OLD JOE"

Post by uppercreek »

I've handled a few. Believe they were made in Japan. Better quality than most. Maybe $50-75 value.
- Kevin

bugslinger
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bugslinger »

I agree with uppercreek, I have one similar with a cheap red anodized metal reel seat. It's a decent 5 wt rod with added guides. Mine cost me $30 in good shape.

hopkintoncane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by hopkintoncane »

I had one about 10 years ago, got it on ebay for about 20 bucks, its Japanese, and not a very good caster

Gflyfish

Post by Gflyfish »

Thanks to the above guys who furnished a little information on the “Old Joe” rod I have. I’ve never used it, so can’t comment on the performance. I don’t know what the connection is to Mobile, Alabama.
I would like to sell the rod and am open to offers. Any interest out there? Thanks.
Gflyfish.

Return to “Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods”