H HAWES & CO MAKERS 110" rod 'A169' 6 5/8 oz

History of the H. W. Hawes Rod Co. Feel free to discuss Hawes Rods here.

Moderators: Ken M 44, fishnbanjo

Pelt62

H HAWES & CO MAKERS 110" rod 'A169' 6 5/8 oz

Post by Pelt62 »

So I've been going thru my father's and great grandfather's fly rods, which include some old bambo rods and found this H Hawes & Co Makers bamboo fly rod. It's also stamped below with Abercrombie & Fitch with 'A169' just below the A&F trademark. I've weighed the rod and it checks in at 6 5/8 oz and is 9' 2". I've read Fishnbanjo's history of Hiram Hawes and Merrit Hawes and all the other forums relating to Hawes' rods and still can not figure out what model rod this is. The rod has a metal silver colored rod seat and the cane is wrapped in the traditional red thread. What I find odd about this rod is the reel seat and cork detach from the first section of the rod. There are 2 identical tips and not including the the detachable reel/cork seat the rod is a 3 piece. Can anyone tell me which Hawes model this rod might be and possibly the year it was manufactured? The canvas rod bag also has a separate short section to house the reel seat. The rod is in excellent condition except the reel seat area over the H Hawes & CO Makers is a bit worn. There are no other identifying markings. Many thanks in advance in helping to figure out this rod-Pelt62

bamboocollector11
Master Guide

Re: H HAWES & CO MAKERS 110" rod 'A169' 6 5/8 oz

Post by bamboocollector11 »

If you e-mail me pics I'll see what info. I can provide.

Ewhitham@yahoo.com

All the best,
Ed

Carlson Rod
Master Guide

Re: H HAWES & CO MAKERS 110" rod 'A169' 6 5/8 oz

Post by Carlson Rod »

Pelt62,
Your grandfather’s rod is in the Hawes records and was sold as a 6 1/4 oz., 10’ trout rod with a detachable handle. Rod was shipped in June of 1915.
Hope this helps.
Carlsonrod

Return to “H. W. Hawes Rods”