USPS

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Loogie
Master Guide

Re: USPS

Post by Loogie »

On my last trip, from DFW to DCA our aft cargo was full to the brim w USPS mail, and that’s a big cargo compartment. The transportation system is maxed out fellas. I recommend traveling with your gear, if it’s time critical. Every trip I fly has an amazing amount of cargo.

Ear4
Guide

Post by Ear4 »

Just circling back to report that all of the rods I mentioned in the earlier post made it to their destinations.

So it seems that trust and patience is the approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

twistedtippet
Guide

Post by twistedtippet »

I guess I should buy a LOTTO ticket today. Rod shipped from Washington state on July 21st at 8:45
Delivered to me in Ct. on July 23rd at 9:50. Yea USPS :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

tt
------------------------------------------------------
Even the blind squirrel gets an occasional nut.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by jeffkn1 »

Loogie wrote:
07/18/20 22:43
The transportation system is maxed out fellas.
I'm 6 miles from the Portland (Maine) airport And am accustomed to hearing departures overhead 5 or 6 times a day. Now, it's a couple a week. I also am not seeing transAtlantic flights. No flights=increased shipping times. However

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/07/21/ ... -carriers/

I'm not in favor of anything that puts more coin in Mr. Bezos' pocket, especially when it slows delivery to the rest of us.

jeffkn1
Bamboo Fanatic

"Wait a minute, wait a minute.."

Post by jeffkn1 »

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

I just received a package I've been waiting for for two weeks. It was a handcrafted canoe net from a cyber friend of mine and he shipped in a huge square box instead of cutting it down. It did get here but don't know if size slowed it down. I do know it spent 4 days sitting in Pittsburgh before it made it's way to Dallas, then a couple more days and Oklahoma. It was worth the wait as the net is a beautiful hand finished ghost net treasure. He is going to try to get a business going on side and I helped him out with an order for a net I'd been wanting for some time.

flyrodman
Master Guide

Post by flyrodman »

Sent a package to VT. Tuesday afternoon, received Wednesday at noon, that's Priority mail at its best

gt05254
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by gt05254 »

I shipped a rod rack to NM on July 7. As of this morning, 7/27, it is still "in transit." Yeah, that's some shipping alrighty. Can't wait to hear what kind of shape it is in after bouncing around the country for THREE WEEKS! Not to mention the fact that it cost double to ship one this year as it did a year ago. Color me a little unhappy.
Gary

frogmorton
Sport

Post by frogmorton »

After getting scammed on ebay I signed on to Usps' "Informed Delivery". Every morning I get an email which includes a list and photos of the mail that will be delivered to my address that day. A free service that provides another layer of security for valuable packages and letters.

cdmoore
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cdmoore »

Brooks
Master Guide

Post by Brooks »

I get so tired of politicians trying to work on the Postal Service’s “business model”, comparing it to other private enterprise ventures.

It is a vital American service that over 90% of Americans want to keep and use. It is a Federal expense that we should all be happy to pay taxes for. Does the military operate on “competitive” business comparisons, or the CDC, or our federal highways?

Let’s all just pitch in and keep a federal postal system, and improve it, and pay for it with our taxes. It is well worth it for commerce, and personal transactions.

Let’s quit the “it’s not profitable” BS.
A tenkara rod, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.

creakycane
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by creakycane »

Well, received 2 rods in the last 6 weeks from Bozeman in only 2 days transit each (a day earlier than the USPS site indicated). Priority Mail.
Received another today from Phili area shipped Registered on monday, delivered fri.
Once in a while, a weird hangup where a package "cools its heels" for 4/5 days somewhere like Jacksonville or Nashville, for no good reason, then comes to life and shows up.
I'm pretty pleased with USPS, and the prices seem reasonable to me.
Last edited by creakycane on 08/01/20 09:50, edited 1 time in total.

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Had a rod shipped from Detroit on June 29th and it arrived here in Florida on July 31st. Tracking shows it didn't leave Detroit until July 29th.

Do you think there's any desire to get the post office running on time while trying to prove post office isn't a reliable way to handle mail in voting?

Barry

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

Last edited by perfesser on 08/02/20 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

czkid
Administrator

Post by czkid »

Watch the politics please.......
Ralph

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

Brooks wrote:
07/31/20 17:01

I get so tired of politicians trying to work on the Postal Service’s “business model”, comparing it to other private enterprise ventures.

It is a vital American service that over 90% of Americans want to keep and use. It is a Federal expense that we should all be happy to pay taxes for. Does the military operate on “competitive” business comparisons, or the CDC, or our federal highways?

Let’s all just pitch in and keep a federal postal system, and improve it, and pay for it with our taxes. It is well worth it for commerce, and personal transactions.

Let’s quit the “it’s not profitable” BS.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but the USPS receives no Federal tax dollars. It is entirely funded by postage collected and products/services sold.. It therefore does act as an independent entity not a federal expense and would need a sound and competitive business model to maintain operation.

Galt

Brooks
Master Guide

Post by Brooks »

“The United States Postal Service (USPS; also known as the Post Office, U.S. Mail, or Postal Service) is an independent agency of the executive branch of the United States federal government responsible for providing postal service in the United States, including its insular areas and associated states.”

It should be run as such.

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

Brooks,

I may be a bit confused, it seems that you are advocating for subsidizing an 'independent' agency.

The Postal Recognition Act, I believe, dropped the Post Office Department as a Cabinet Office and created the US Postal Service instead. The act basically mandated an efficient service to every address at a reasonable cost(my interpretation). This is a quote from the Act, "The costs of establishing and maintaining the Postal Service shall not be apportioned to impair the overall value of such service to the people." In an independent arrangement, value would be determined by the purchasers. If service were subsidized with Federal revenue, 'value' would become subjective--no?

Galt

Brooks
Master Guide

Post by Brooks »

It is still a federal agency. It’s employees are federal employees.
It is in the executive branch, like the US Forest Service (Dept of agriculture), the NSA, the CIA. It is just as vital. It’s value and budget, in my opinion, shouldn’t be tied in terms of costs and operations, to the likes of Fedex, UPS etc. It is a federal service, like our federal highways, that our country uses for a myriad of invaluable services, and it is truly democratic, in that small rural towns can depend on the service, as can The Hamptons.

USDA/Forest Service deficit logging projects , cattle grazing fees etc are also not cost effective or profitable to our citizenry either, but are deemed important enough to carry on. And we don’t tend to see if the logging roads that are punched into our wild lands pay for themselves with the fees that are charged for timber harvest.
But, that 55-cent first class postage stamp isn’t covering the cost,
so politicians threaten to lay off postal workers, slow down delivery, or shut down Saturday delivery. Nothing in our government can work on that standard. It’s government, with services for its citizenry, not a business. I run a business. My business is for me to make a profit. I pay taxes, for services provided by my government. Those services such as highways, National security, wilderness lands and parks, and dependable delivery of my mail, are worth the taxes they charge me.

No other agency in the executive branch is held to the same standard, and none, I would argue, are as needed by every single citizen. But that, of course, is just my opinion (and rant;-)
Last edited by Brooks on 08/01/20 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

galt
Master Guide

Post by galt »

Thank you for the clarification of your position and the expression of your opinion. Until Congress acts to alter the Postal Recognition Act, We have the Service as-is. It appears to me that having someone with extensive logistics experience head the Service might be a good thing in the long run as the Postal Service seems to be one of the largest logistics operations in the world.

Galt

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”