Cataract Surgery

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Salar4me
Guide

Re: Cataract Surgery

Post by Salar4me »

Thanks Kentucky!

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

Have to laugh, after I had both eyes done, first time driving, I was asking my daughter why everyone seemed to have washed their cars that day. Clarity, brightness, and night vision were/are amazing. I'm 18 months out, still need 2.0 readers, but 20/20.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

kentuckyjim wrote:
02/18/21 18:08
Wish there was a procedure for hearing!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
There is but you have to be basically stone deaf. Ocular implants have given hearing to many since developed. Thanks to poor practices with guns and equipment as a young person I'm very poor in upper ranges and live with constant tinnitus. I have to have some noise when I sleep or else my ears drive me nuts if it's too quiet. CORRECTED It's ocular implants...thank you 6tUc05.

Thanks for explaining surgery. Since I've never had it I just thought they pulled the growth off and that was it.

6tUc05
Master Guide

Post by 6tUc05 »

Bassman...

I think you will find that "ocular implants" are eye implants! Cochlear is the word you were looking for.

Cheers!

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

As an ophthalmic surgeon who practised cataract surgery, in the UK, from 1979 until 2020 (I retired last year), I am following this thread with interest.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Godfroy, Have you any insights to offer?

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

I am encouraged that the feedback is largely positive. I know it is a good procedure. I did my late father's cataract surgery about 15 years ago which means my cataracts should need doing in about 15 years. Some of the surgeons I trained should still be in practice by then.

My advice is to find a good surgeon and don't be afraid of asking questions. Personally, when my time comes, I would opt for single vision lens implants not multi-focal lenses. Many people are clearly happy with multi-focal lenses and, if any of you are among this group, that is great. All multi-focal lenses degrade the image to a degree so the price for convenience is a slight loss in image quality. My hobbies, like rod building, musical instrument making, fly tying etc. all involve the use of various types of near vision lenses or magnifying aids and I would still need many of these if I had multifocal lens implants. For cataract surgery I used an operating microscope, which belonged to my hospital, but my personal head-mounted operating loupes are now used for wrapping guides and fly tying.

Paul.

PS. Cataract surgery is a very safe procedure with only about 1% serious complications. Advanced cataracts are more difficult to operate on than early cataracts and the complication rate for advanced cataracts is slightly higher. This is an argument for having cataract surgery sooner rather than later, if you have the choice.

crowebeetle
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by crowebeetle »

Godfroy, thanks for the response and perspective. What are the best questions to ask of surgeon?

bhuz
Sport

Post by bhuz »

I had both eyes done about 15 years ago (I'm 71). At the beginning of the second surgery the doctor asked if I had any questions. He spoke constantly during the first surgery, I thought we were alone, so I asked to whom he was speaking. He replied "the robot". "What robot?" He responded "the robot that did your surgery". Oh!

It turned out very good, I feel safe driving at night and in the rain. I have no problem with using readers, but am still frustrated by 7x and by size 18 flies.

Tom

Godfroy
Master Guide

Post by Godfroy »

crowebeetle wrote:
02/21/21 17:14
Godfroy, thanks for the response and perspective. What are the best questions to ask of surgeon?
Anything at all which worries you or you don't understand. Most cataract surgeons will provide detailed patient information. There may be no concerns, which is fine. Any issues are far better addressed before rather than after or during surgery.

bassman
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bassman »

This is a little story about cataracts. My wife's sister and husband both ride cycles. During the day B-I-L always took point next to centerline and S-I-L rode bike length back next to shoulder. At night he started reversing this. When she finally made him admit why it was because he was just following her taillight since his night vision had gotten so bad. She made him get the cataract surgery and implant and he's fine again with night riding.

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Post by Capt. Frank »

The anesthesia they used on me, is the one which does not put you out, you remember nothing, until they give you a drug, which counteracts the first drug. I only remember them saying they were giving me anesthesia, and getting off of the operating table, with no after effects.

Rio Grande King
Guide

Post by Rio Grande King »

I had one very nearsighted eye done in 2016. Agonized over the cost of multi-focal implants. Then realized that I would be spending money on something that I would use every waking moment of my life. Had it done, and couldn't be happier! Got 20/20, (big improvement) and lost the readers.
Ken

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”