Wulff Triangle tapered line

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Wulff Triangle tapered line

Post by Trout120-1 »

What is the theory behind the triangle tapered lines ?
Thanks

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Re: Wulff Triangle tapered line

Post by ibookje »

Continuous thicker part turning over thinner part

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Can it be reversed like a DT ?

Brian K. Shaffer
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Brian K. Shaffer »

I do not believe it would operate the same in reverse... it would not rollout with increased momentum as the weight decreases...

It would be increasing... from thinner to fatter...
" There's no such thing as a fly fisherman wholly satisfied with his casting performance. " ~ Jim Green (1971)
" Just once I wish a trout would wink at me. " ~ Brian Shaffer

Use the SEARCH for justification and reasoning.

DrLogik
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by DrLogik »

The triangle taper is a continuous taper from the start of the weight-forward section to the terminal end of the line. It's profile is shaped like a triangle, hence the name.

If you are fishing in close with tight cover and roll casting is your only option, this is where a triangle taper works really well. Because you always have heavier line turning over lighter line the cast rolls out really well. Nice tight roll loops. No, it is not reversible since it is a variant of the weight-forward line.

ibookje
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by ibookje »

Long front tapers like the TT and weighted nymphs (lets not even try streamers!) don't go along well together

60InchDV8
Master Guide

Post by 60InchDV8 »

Well....I’ve found the various types of Wulff TT pretty versatile but it is designed as a floating line for dry fly fishing. I have fished drowned duns and spinners, nymphs, streamers and salmon bombers, riffle hitched flies, irons, and tubes with it. I just adapt the leader to a suitable configuration for the intended presentation. I might add to the comment about the line tapers versatility in an over head and roll cast. This line is superb for single hand rod switch and single and double spey casts which will enhance your ability to perform difficult casts with no room behind you and allow you a perfect placement of your fly under over hanging foliage where larger trout rise with confidence.
The Wulff TT spey line with an 80 foot head and fifty feet of running line is one of my favourite floating lines and works well with modern graphite and cane rods. Here it is with a feisty Springer.
Regards from the Restigouche....Jim

perfesser
Guide

Post by perfesser »

the triangle taper trout lines have a 30'-40' long ever increasing taper, then a very steep rear taper down to a fixed diameter running line. just measured a 90' TT 5/6F: 35' long head, tip 0.028", largest diameter 0.047", not quite three foot taper down to 0.035" running line. i like a tt 5-7 when i will roll cast a lot and know i won't be casting more than 40 feet or so. with an 8' leader, the fattest part of the line is still in the tip and the line mends wonderfully. if i plan to cast 50' - 60', i use the next size down DT line.

Trout120-1
Master Guide

Post by Trout120-1 »

Thanks to all !
Paul

GRASSNGLASS
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by GRASSNGLASS »

Best line I've ever used on my parabolic rods. Makes my Sharpes parabolics come alive.

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

ibookje wrote:
04/14/21 10:12
Long front tapers like the TT and weighted nymphs (lets not even try streamers!) don't go along well together
Long front tapers like the TT and me don't go along too well also ;-)

Dwight
Guide

Post by Dwight »

Wulff TT lines turn over beautifully for me, but I don’t throw weight or big wind resistant flies. They’re especially nice on cane, I love them on my Sharpes spey rods.

Jim, that line you show pictured is bright green, but I thought the 80’ TT floating spey was only made in ivory? Are you using an intermediate?

Marterius
Master Guide

Post by Marterius »

Airflo Delta had a similar profile and is also very nice, both in ordinary lines and Spey lines. I am not sure if Airflo still makes them but I have a few of those, which I am very happy with.

Return to “Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.....”