Curious - IMHO

or however that dang word is written! : ) Use this forum to discuss those things that are related to, directly, or indirectly, fly fishing, i.e., tackle, catalogs, single malt scotch, cigar preferences, pipes, camera gear, etc. This is sort of an off topic area but one related to bamboo and fly fishing.

Moderators: czkid, Whitefish Press

Oxbow
Master Guide

Curious - IMHO

Post by Oxbow »

I don't get it. WHY do members say IMHO?? Isn't that obvious that if you give an opinion it's YOU and HONEST? Why the need to be redundant? Never understood that confusing statement.

6tUc05
Master Guide

Re: Curious - IMHO

Post by 6tUc05 »

Perhaps they want to emphasize the fact that it is just that, an opinion, as opposed to "fact". It can be difficult at times to differentiate between the two.

redietz
Master Guide

Post by redietz »

Oxbow wrote:
06/11/21 09:37
I don't get it. WHY do members say IMHO?? Isn't that obvious that if you give an opinion it's YOU and HONEST? Why the need to be redundant? Never understood that confusing statement.
The "H" has long stood for "Humble," not "Honest." (Although that may be changing.)

The phrase emphasizes that it's just an opinion and that the writer may not be an expert on the subject.

Hellmtflies
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by Hellmtflies »

redietz wrote:
06/11/21 10:24
Oxbow wrote:
06/11/21 09:37
The "H" has long stood for "Humble," not "Honest." (Although that may be changing.)

The phrase emphasizes that it's just an opinion and that the writer may not be an expert on the subject.
DITTO!

Oxbow
Master Guide

Post by Oxbow »

Ahhhhh. Ok - got it.

sanderson
Guide

Post by sanderson »

George Carlin could write a whole new act based on some of these acronyms we use. I had a member of my management team who used the term "to be honest with you" when sharing a thought. I'd always ask him "aren't you always honest with me?" Became a standard joke. IMHO, FWIW, this is just part of our evolution, like it or not. LOL.

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

Although I am on the cutting edge of societal evolution I do not keep current with trendy acronyms. LOL, TTYL, ROTFLMAO, IMHO, they all mean nothing to me.

Ear4
Master Guide

Curious - IMHO

Post by Ear4 »

Agreed with the “humble” as stated earlier.

I use the phrase a good deal because I want to make clear when I am stating what I think but that I am not telling others what to do.

At their best, these forums are a way for fellow enthusiasts to connect, share ideas, and enjoy social interactions. But sometimes forums turn into arguing, bullying or people trying to prove that they are “better” than others. I am all for the former and prefer not to take part in the later. To make it clear that I am humbly sharing my opinion and not telling someone else what they “should” do, I use the short hand “IMHO.”

To be clear I think the members of this forum generally do a really good job of being polite. That is not universal in fishing forums though and I would rather my favorite forum stay that way, so I do what I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Capt. Frank
Master Guide

Post by Capt. Frank »

Adding that at the end of a statement can prevent a law suit. You can be sued for slander, or libel, but not for an opinion.

cwfly
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by cwfly »

Capt. Frank wrote:
06/12/21 10:27
Adding that at the end of a statement can prevent a law suit. You can be sued for slander, or libel, but not for an opinion.
I disagree. If you offer an opinion that someone has a character trait that is clearly defamatory, simply calling it an "opinion" will be no defense.

cutthroatkid
Guide

Post by cutthroatkid »

I agree with Ear. IMHO signifies that your post is your opinion, that others may disagree but you do not want to get in an on-line version of "my dog's better than your dog" type of discussion. I think it's pretty relevant in this type of forum where so much about the rods are personal preference - node spacing, glues, type of guides (175 responses on torzite guides), heat treatments, varnishes and so on.

CDCdun
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by CDCdun »

Ear4 wrote:
06/12/21 09:50
Agreed with the “humble” as stated earlier.

I use the phrase a good deal because I want to make clear when I am stating what I think but that I am not telling others what to do.

At their best, these forums are a way for fellow enthusiasts to connect, share ideas, and enjoy social interactions. But sometimes forums turn into arguing, bullying or people trying to prove that they are “better” than others. I am all for the former and prefer not to take part in the later. To make it clear that I am humbly sharing my opinion and not telling someone else what they “should” do, I use the short hand “IMHO.”

To be clear I think the members of this forum generally do a really good job of being polite. That is not universal in fishing forums though and I would rather my favorite forum stay that way, so I do what I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
+1 to all this...

Jake

PYochim
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by PYochim »

FWIW. That is another one.

barebo
Master Guide

Post by barebo »

I H8 when U don't use proper English! Where is that nun and her ruler?

bluesjay
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by bluesjay »

Hi guys, Oh, the Sister is always at the ready, just ask:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujxDA9VsQG4

Jay Edwards

henkverhaar
Bamboo Fanatic

Post by henkverhaar »

I prefer to use IMNSHO...